• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Flintoff Boxing

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flintoff Boxing"

Collapse

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by moggy View Post
    My prediction, 5th round knocked out with a body shot.

Not sure of why he would want to do this, even if he was to win, I doubt he has the time or the ability to box at a decent level.
    I thought it was 4 2min rounds

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Well he got through it.

However, he seemed just to flail. The adrenilin probably got to him and erased most of the training. I am not sure if he was just lucky not to face a more aggressive opponent or whether his flailing stopped Dawson from getting anything going. The knockdown was more due to Freddy being off balance than the punch having a large affect imho.

The other fights were good though.

PS:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mudskipper again.
    Last edited by MyUserName; 3 December 2012, 09:41. Reason: Switched brain on ... and it is off again

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Bowling is incredibly strenuous on the body tbf.
    Murder on the back. You're lucky if you can straighten up again without support.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Depends on the action really. Courtney Walsh bowled into his late 30's, as did McGrath. Depends if you are side on, or front on, how the knees move, shoulder use (people like Craig White used to get most of his 90mph through his shoulder, so didn't bowl much into his 30's. Ian Bishop had loads of injuries, but was still bowling quick at 38.

If you have a bad action, you're career will end earlier.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Nearly as bad as squash.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I think if anything Flintoff's just given more evidence of the adaptability of top sportspeople. He's got strength, fitness and excellent hand to eye coordination and those are characteristics that can be used in many sports.

I just wonder though; if he'd put in the same fitness work as a cricketer then maybe he'd have been a really fast bowler.
    I've seen Flintoff touch 94mph. That's pretty swift. He was more renowned more for bowling what is called a heavy ball, in that he hit the deck hard, not kissed it like Darren Gough (who was also up at 90+ in his day), so that he got steeper bounce. Most casual cricketers would soil themselves facing 80mph. Trust me, anything over 80mph get's your juices going pretty good.

I think if anything, if he applied this kind of fitness regime when he was a cricketer, he'd still be one, that's the only difference I could see.

Botham was the same really. First 25 tests, 45 with the bat, 20 with the ball, then 25-50, 40 bat, 25 ball, then he just started believing his own press and went really downhill. If he'd have been as dedicated as someone like Hadlee, he, imo, would have been the best cricketer in the history of the game.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I think if anything Flintoff's just given more evidence of the adaptability of top sportspeople. He's got strength, fitness and excellent hand to eye coordination and those are characteristics that can be used in many sports.

I just wonder though; if he'd put in the same fitness work as a cricketer then maybe he'd have been a really fast bowler.
    Or if he'd chosen to do a proper sport...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    He will get destroyed.
    You really do lead with your chin dontcha?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    He will get destroyed.
    For posterity

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Doesn't sound sensible to me. Didn't he do any amateur fights first?

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    My prediction, 5th round knocked out with a body shot.

Not sure of why he would want to do this, even if he was to win, I doubt he has the time or the ability to box at a decent level.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    He will get destroyed.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    BBC Sport - Andrew Flintoff v Richard Dawson: Should Freddie be in the ring?

Seems weird, I assumed this was one of those charity things but is a professional fight.
    Yeah, he has been training like a mad man for it. Mike Tyson and Sugar Ray came to see him and give him advice etc. Although he is fighting a novice it still has potential to be interesting

Leave a comment:

Working...
X