• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ukip takes second place in Rotherham"

Collapse

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Are there really people that think in such binary terms as above? I.e. Tories= good Labour=Bad. The truth is they both **** up, the two party system in this country doesn't work and whoever is in charge it makes little difference. The country is run by the same civil servants.

As for Traditional Tory Policies to get to grips with the situation?
    1/ Monetarism, that failed didn't it.
    2/ Deregulation, erm that caused the crisis.
    3/ Balancing the books? They just INCREASED borrowing!

However this is all some cunning ploy. FFS
    No!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The BNP candidate, Marlene Guest, was annoyed: "I'm so angry. UKIP are like us, but they just lie about it."

Still, as long as the Tory vote is split at least some good is coming from the scum

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Are there really people that think in such binary terms as above?
    Yes. Don't make things so complicated for them.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I actually think that if someone came along who was a mixture of Enoch Powell, Arthur Scargill, Margaret Thatcher and Winston Churchill then they would be the next British PM

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    What does everyone expect? The Tories lost 3 elections by behaving like Tories.

The only way they could win an election on traditional Tory policies would have been to lose the last one and let Labour's policies run their course, which was headlong into disaster. It could have ended up worse than the Winter Of Discontent and the IMF.

However, as people saw it in 2010, unlike 1979, no big economic disasters had happened under Labour because the problems were all hidden and kicked down the road. That meant that the Tories found it difficult to implement Tory policies to get to grips with a dire situation, because the masses couldn't see a dire situation. When they do, they will blame the Tories for it.

So it's a very fine line that the Tories have to walk. Too much self-indulgence with traditional policies, and in 2015 we will be welcoming Ed Milliband and Ed Balls back into Downing Street.
    Are there really people that think in such binary terms as above? I.e. Tories= good Labour=Bad. The truth is they both **** up, the two party system in this country doesn't work and whoever is in charge it makes little difference. The country is run by the same civil servants.

As for Traditional Tory Policies to get to grips with the situation?
    1/ Monetarism, that failed didn't it.
    2/ Deregulation, erm that caused the crisis.
    3/ Balancing the books? They just INCREASED borrowing!

However this is all some cunning ploy. FFS
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 30 November 2012, 12:38.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    And of course while "everyone" may be considering voting UKIP, most of them won't.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    There's the danger of only talking to people like yourself - historically that kind of blinkered view has led to some pretty damaging events.
    That's quite witty - for you.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    You and I have very different views on this (I'm a member of UKIP). Pretty much everyone I talk to is considering voting for them.
    There's the danger of only talking to people like yourself - historically that kind of blinkered view has led to some pretty damaging events.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Reading about the UKIP it seems to me that they're a mixture of old right-wing Tory, middle of the road BNP and sad disillusioned (and in some cases corrupt*) old gits. The EU is very important to them otherwise how would their 12 MEPs live?
    You and I have very different views on this (I'm a member of UKIP). Pretty much everyone I talk to is considering voting for them.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Reading about the UKIP it seems to me that they're a mixture of old right-wing Tory, middle of the road BNP and sad disillusioned (and in some cases corrupt*) old gits. The EU is very important to them otherwise how would their 12 MEPs live?

UKIP are not new to corrupt figures within their organisation. Former UKIP MEP Tom Wise was sent to prison for 2 years for spending over £35,000 on cars and wine at the tax payer's expense. Another MEP Ashley Mote was jailed for 9 months for falsely claiming over £65,000 in state benefits.
    Former MP Neil Hamilton who lost his seat in the cash for questions saga, explained his life after Parliament including bankruptcy, a media career and now working with the UKIP "to advance the causes I believe in".

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    UKIP are a one policy (we dislike everyone, stop the modern world and let us off, lets go back to the 50s, because we're all grumpy middle aged men who can't cope with change) party.
    All voting for them will do is eat into the Tory vote just enough to let Labour in.
    You mean the same 50's that experienced a massive post war influx of immigration from the colonies?

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Labour will only be able to get in with a majority so transferring your Tory vote to UKIP will make no difference.

Edit: Actually scratch that because it would come down to seats and you can't have a "coalition seat".

Probably Farage will try and cut a deal with the Tories to not run against them if they promise a referendum.
    Last edited by Robinho; 30 November 2012, 11:48.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Whilst I disagree with your summary of UKIP, you are spot on with your assessment of what would happen.
    You could take the view its best to let Labour get on with destroying the country and then we can start again from the ashes.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    UKIP are a one policy (we dislike everyone, stop the modern world and let us off, lets go back to the 50s, because we're all grumpy middle aged men who can't cope with change) party.
    All voting for them will do is eat into the Tory vote just enough to let Labour in.
    Whilst I disagree with your summary of UKIP, you are spot on with your assessment of what would happen.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I hate it when I agree with you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X