• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are working people this dependant on benefits"

Collapse

• Robinho
    replied
    I honestly don't think it even takes much effort. A lot of people just can't be arsed to better themselves.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I didn't even go to college and it's never stopped me getting a decent paid job, there's nothing like a bit of self motivation to drive you on and the fact that I grew up on a council estate in the 'diff never hampered me either
    Fair enough. I didnt mean to have a go at those who take a different route and be snobby about it. LOL

You've obviously made a bit of an effort to get where you are today as well....

Point is that there are those who cant be arsed to make an effort and expect everything to fall into their lap and then moan cos someone has got something nicer than them...

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Corrected that for you. But you do need to know the key words that scare ofsted into doing things.

I find the use of the word abuse followed by can I have written confirmation of you receiving this complaint works wonders when wanting them to get off their backsides.

But they do seem (even nowadays) to have a habit of ignoring complaints unless you ask for the latter bit.
    We wrote to the council, the local paper, our MP, Ofsted and about everyone we could. Simply got some nice noises back.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Nasty, sorry to hear that.

Our experience has been much better, probably being involved in the middle has given a more positive view.

Each setting should have regular inspections and you can feed back to Ofsted.
    Corrected that for you. But you do need to know the key words that scare ofsted into doing things.

I find the use of the word abuse followed by can I have written confirmation of you receiving this complaint works wonders when wanting them to get off their backsides.

But they do seem (even nowadays) to have a habit of ignoring complaints unless you ask for the latter bit.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I know people I went to school with who are exactly the same as them. Spent the whole time in school pissing about and now their in low paid jobs with 3/4 kids. Same attitude - they're hard done by and people like me are 'lucky'.

Simple solution. Listen in school, and get off your arse and go to college and get a better paid job. And, yes, everyone can do it - dont give me that crap about being from an underprivileged area either!
    I didn't even go to college and it's never stopped me getting a decent paid job, there's nothing like a bit of self motivation to drive you on and the fact that I grew up on a council estate in the 'diff never hampered me either

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    £65 a day in Reigate.

I was discussing Nurseries, not childcare. We unfortunately couldn't find on in reigate as they were all ramjamfull

I didn't like these smoking, feckless girls looking after my kids; one day I came to pick #1 up, and couldn't see her. They stunk of fags, and were listening to Enimem (uncensored) and when I asked where she was, was told we don't know. I found her in the toilets putting loo roll into the toilet. I did go fairly postal on them, and called the owner, who pretty much said, if I didn't like it, I could take the kids elsewhere. We did, and got some money off the bitch too.

No, that's scarred me to be honest. Also, there was one shut in Reigate that was found to have treated the kids badly.
    Nasty, sorry to hear that.

Our experience has been much better, probably being involved in the middle has given a more positive view.

Each setting should have regular inspections and you can feed back to Surestart.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    REALLY pisses me off people like that 2nd couple. Think they've got a right to things like Sky TV because other people have it.

I know people I went to school with who are exactly the same as them. Spent the whole time in school pissing about and now their in low paid jobs with 3/4 kids. Same attitude - they're hard done by and people like me are 'lucky'.

Simple solution. Listen in school, and get off your arse and go to college and get a better paid job. And, yes, everyone can do it - dont give me that crap about being from an underprivileged area either!
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    REALLY pisses me off people like that 2nd couple. Think they've got a right to things like Sky TV because other people have it.

Don't forget greedy.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Hahahaha which one would that be? unfortunately I haven't watched it as I don't watch any TV over here but I can tell you I went to school with AK.
    Carly. The one that kept stripping off....

They went on a trip back to Caer (and went in that pub by the train station - Irish tymes?). Then she jumped out of the mini-bus on the way back and took her kit off.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    FTFY :-)

Do you know that minging bird off the The Valleys ;-)
    Hahahaha which one would that be? unfortunately I haven't watched it as I don't watch any TV over here but I can tell you I went to school with AK.
    Last edited by The Spartan; 21 November 2012, 09:47. Reason: punctuation

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Caerfilthy which is 10 miles outside of Cardiff
    FTFY :-)

Do you know that minging bird off the The Valleys ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    That's old school thinking, every foody cheese article I have read or heard in past few years has said Britain has more variety and it's a growing trend.

The French are entrenched on past glories and will never admit it, same goes for their fine wines, it maybe a personal taste but I prefer a more robust new world red over a fine, thin and expensive French variety.

A quick google backs up what I'm saying: BBC - BBC Food blog: Are British food producers now good enough to rival the French?
    I'd agree on the wine, and we rarely buy French wine anymore. But on cheese, well, I'd argue all day long, sorry, but I would. There is a far larger selection of cheeses, and of different types. The only cheese I would miss, were I to move there full time, would be cheddar.

Interestingly, the new world wines, most of them, were best on old world vines, taken there by settlers. Then, in the late 1800's, there was a terribly vine blight in France, in which most vines were killed and had to be replaced, by new world vines. Some new world vines are older than french ones...

Not the cheese though, sorry, just would never be able to agree on that.

Food, well yes; your normal common restaurant is not very good anymore. We toured France and Spain this summer for 6 weeks and struggled to find good food in france. But we have a house over there, and in the village have excellent paysan food.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    That's exactly what I was thinking, they obviously made a decision to have more children why did they not think of the financial implications. You can't expect to have lots of disposable income if you have a lot of kids unless you have a stellar job like being a tester . I noted that it said the husband was a software programmer and my first thoughts were get a more well paid position.
    Maybe he should try contracting!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    The French are entrenched on past glories and will never admit it, same goes for their fine wines, it maybe a personal taste but I prefer a more robust new world red over a fine, thin and expensive French variety.
    Yep, with a few notable exceptions from Bourgogne. Oh, and the Italians make many fabulous reds, just as they always have.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X