• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Man get 4 months in prison for a wearing a t-shirt the state enforcers didnt like"

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I think they should have arrested him and burned the tee shirt.
    And as an extra concession they should have let him take it off first..

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The people wearing those probably won't have 77 prior convictions and still be on probation of some sort... and those shirts don't promote killing the current PM.

So there's a gap in the market.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I hope they're building some very big prisons for when Maggie dies.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Well it's still offensive.

How would you like it if your boss came in the morning and gloated about the fact that your son had just died.

Would you consider that free speech? because that is basically what this was about.
    Id consider him a ****, but I wouldnt consider it a criminal offence. I dont have a boss btw, as Im a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think the title 'Anti-police tee shirt' is a bit of an understatement though. You could have an general anti police statement and get away with it. This was directly related to a serious incident which puts it in a different catagory.

Voicing your opinion of the police should be ok but being grossly offensive, lacking in common sense and being an utter moron should get you in trouble IMO.

EDIT... It also says in the article that he is 'a serial offender'. Anyone normal would probably get a severe bollocking about this but if he is a serial offender then there is no wiggle room.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 19 October 2012, 16:00.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    But inciting means to calculatingly say things that make people do the things you want them to do, and obviously these things have to be illegal. You also have to ask, would any rational person be incited to kill a police officer by reading his t-shirt? Clearly not. I guess this is why he wasnt charged with this offence.
    Well it's still offensive.

How would you like it if your boss came in the morning and gloated about the fact that your son had just died.

Would you consider that free speech? because that is basically what this was about.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Freedom of speech is stupid.
    You can't say that.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    But inciting means to calculatingly say things that make people do the things you want them to do, and obviously these things have to be illegal. You also have to ask, would any rational person be incited to kill a police officer by reading his t-shirt? Clearly not. I guess this is why he wasnt charged with this offence.
    Hitler managed it with a few million Jews

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    If you are being insulting or deliberately offensive yes of course. Telling someon to f*** off is an offence. Obviously saying f*** off wouldn't result in more than a fine. Inciting people to hate or violence is prisonable i.e. "kill a cop for fun".

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You may have noticed that the moderators here will remove personally offensive posts. That's because it isn't acceptable.

Ah that's why my post count is so low

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Are you saying that outraging a member of the public is an offence that someone should be arrested for?
    If you are being insulting or deliberately offensive yes of course. Telling someon to f*** off is an offence. Obviously saying f*** off wouldn't result in more than a fine. Inciting people to hate or violence is prisonable i.e. "kill a cop for fun". If you were to ring the police up and ask them to arrest them because they'd told you to f** off you wouldn't get very far, but if someone was knocking on your door or ringing you up and telling you to f*** off on a regular basis I think they would.

That's the law, we live in a democracy and the police have a duty to uphold the law.

If you have a problem with that you need to write to your MP and start a campaign.

I don't think you'd get very far though.

You may have noticed that the moderators here will remove personally offensive posts. That's because it isn't acceptable.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 October 2012, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Im outraged by this and want you arrested.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I don't think you'd find that this would have been acceptable 20 years ago, or 30 years ago.
    It wouldn't even have been news that he got arrested for it.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Sure is

Outraging public decency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distu...e#mw-mf-search
    Last edited by doodab; 19 October 2012, 15:34.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Actually it was "outraged" members of the public who called the police, so since this is an offence the police had an obligation to arrest him.
    Are you saying that outraging a member of the public is an offence that someone should be arrested for?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X