• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you have a will?"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    So I'm forever indebted to her because she gave birth to me?
    Don't worry bout d000hg Spartan, he can be a cretin. He's not really displayed any understanding of the real world...

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Good to know you appreciate the gift of life.
    So I'm forever indebted to her because she gave birth to me?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    We've done ours, including agreements with the eldest kids godparents to looks after them if we both popped off, which would incentivise him greatly, as with life assurances on us both, and properties, is a large sum they'd get.

Everytime we hook up, he tries to persuade me to drink MF's weight in wine, which I assume is a bad thing.

As an aside, if you give something to anyone, it is free of tax, if you 7 years longer then the date of the gift. So the neat trick, would be to start passing off anything expensive to the kids earlier rather than later, so you can avoid tax. I am sure it would also make sure they looked after you better too. Then after 7 years is up, give them something else expensive...

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    We got ours done last year. "Mrs Admin" and I aren't married but we have kids so was the sensible thing to do. It took us about 12 months to get them signed and back to the solicitors
    Not married? No wonder this place is such a moral vacuum.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    We got ours done last year. "Mrs Admin" and I aren't married but we have kids so was the sensible thing to do. It took us about 12 months to get them signed and back to the solicitors

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Close - he's a werewolf.
    fun, furry and an animal at full moon?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Mudskipper's hubby is a vampire. He will never die and has little use for mirrors.
    Close - he's a werewolf.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Damn right, what were you thinking marriage is, some sort of relationship where you care about each other? When you die that'll teach him a lesson.

Unless it's a loving plan to help him grieve less by making him remember what a PITA you were?!
    Mudskipper's hubby is a vampire. He will never die and has little use for mirrors.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I have I did it years ago before I was married to ensure my mother didn't get a penny if anything happened to me

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Did 'mirror wills' about 20 years ago. Hubby never got his signed.

Updated them about 10 years ago. Hubby never got his signed.

I've now shredded mine, because I don't see why I should make life easy for him if he doesn't extend the same courtesy to me. Got a copy on the computer, so if he does his, I'll redo mine.
    Damn right, what were you thinking marriage is, some sort of relationship where you care about each other? When you die that'll teach him a lesson.

Unless it's a loving plan to help him grieve less by making him remember what a PITA you were?!

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    I keep meaning to get one.

Is it possible to make a will that it all be drawn out as cash and then burnt?
    You mean donated to the public purse? I didn't know you had it in you.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Did 'mirror wills' about 20 years ago. Hubby never got his signed.

Updated them about 10 years ago. Hubby never got his signed.

I've now shredded mine, because I don't see why I should make life easy for him if he doesn't extend the same courtesy to me. Got a copy on the computer, so if he does his, I'll redo mine.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    worth doing there are a number of ways to ensure that the chancellor doesn't get his hands on your money.

fairly cheap as well.
    I keep meaning to get one.

Is it possible to make a will that it all be drawn out as cash and then burnt?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Serious subject, but do you have a will? Now that my finances are sorted I am actually worth more dead than I am alive, I am single but have kids. I know technically they will get everything whether I write it down or not, but I suppose having it all done officially will save a lot of hassle when my ex kills me
    If you don't have a will and you drop dead, the children's court appointed trustees (in your case likely to be their mother) will have to go to court to be able to use the funds you have left for them before they are 18.

If you have a new partner and more children later on it will get even more complicated especially if the older ones are 18 or over.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    worth doing there are a number of ways to ensure that the chancellor doesn't get his hands on your money.

fairly cheap as well.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I lost mine a long time ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X