• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gotta love Korean companies"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Years ago I was working for an American company sold to a Taiwenese plastics and rubber manufacturer.
    Part of our business was refurbishing handsets, the most important part was the plastic case, so our new owners sent us some examples of the new cases, we unwrapped them excitedly thought thats odd most people use polystyrene chips... these are sort of rubbery.... oh christ they are unlubricated condoms used as packing

Rather apt because they sure got stiffed when they bought the company, we had one customer and a few days after they bought us the customer decided to go elsewhere.

They also laid off all the service & refurbishment staff but kept on the idiots who allowed us to have only one customer despite our comments.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Thouth of Thutthex
    Yeth. Sank-you.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    South of Thutthex? Really?
    Thouth of Thutthex

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Most contractors think Ethics is a county somewhere to the south of Thutthex.
    South of Thutthex? Really?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It doesn't sound like he has the right worth ethic to be a contractor.

Most contractors think Ethics is a county somewhere to the south of Thutthex.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Then yesterday, now things have settled down a bit, he took the liberty of arriving an hour late, at 9am instead of 8am I think, and within minutes a Korean HR manager phoned him and announced "You late today - We dock one hour's pay!".
    Ah, a Declaration of War.

Get the popcorn out.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Sounds like he should become a contractor.
    It doesn't sound like he has the right worth ethic to be a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can you imagine what expertise Cambodian companies would have had if Pol Pot was still in charge? What? He know how to fix network? He too educated! Shoot now!
    How else do managers become managers while people with real expertise stay as proles or go contracting.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can you imagine what expertise Cambodian companies would have had if Pol Pot was still in charge? What? He know how to fix network? He too educated! Shoot now!
    Maybe that's what the Iron Lady had a little soft spot for the Khmer Rouge.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    The clientco group I'm contracting in has just been bought by a large Korean company (and I took half a day off on the last day at old clientco and the first at new cliento, with "no work available" prominently on each timesheet, to prove no mutuality of obligation!)

Anyway, the transfer of hardware and software for hundreds of people went fairly smoothly, largely due to the heroic efforts of one permie IS guy. He has been working like a one-armed paperhanger all the hours God sends, fielding requests from dozens of people, and staying late until past midnight, and apparently the other guys in his team are fairly useless.

Then yesterday, now things have settled down a bit, he took the liberty of arriving an hour late, at 9am instead of 8am I think, and within minutes a Korean HR manager phoned him and announced "You late today - We dock one hour's pay!".

To which he replied "You can dock one employee from your head count", and walked out. Who can blame him?
    I hope you have expressed your whole hearted welcome for your new masters and prepared a list of individuals whose loyalty is questionable.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Sounds like he should become a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    started a topic Gotta love Korean companies

Gotta love Korean companies

The clientco group I'm contracting in has just been bought by a large Korean company (and I took half a day off on the last day at old clientco and the first at new cliento, with "no work available" prominently on each timesheet, to prove no mutuality of obligation!)

Anyway, the transfer of hardware and software for hundreds of people went fairly smoothly, largely due to the heroic efforts of one permie IS guy. He has been working like a one-armed paperhanger all the hours God sends, fielding requests from dozens of people, and staying late until past midnight, and apparently the other guys in his team are fairly useless.

To which he replied "You can dock one employee from your head count", and walked out. Who can blame him?

Working...
X