• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Starting work without signed contract"

Collapse

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

How do you get them reviewed for IR35? ... Oh wait.... never mind.
    I even added NLUK protection to that post

Seriously though, I said I don't get my contracts SIGNED before I start, not that I don't get one at all.
    Last edited by Scoobos; 12 October 2012, 08:52.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    I am operating as a business and am not a disguised employee pretending to be a business. I usually have multiple simultaneous contracts. I work at home or at client site according to how I view the business need. I control my own work. Quibbling over the terminology as to when the client may reasonably refuse a sub is of little interest to me.
    It's not the IR35 clauses which are normally in contacts that bother me its the others like payment. There are some people on here who have ageed to 45 day payment terms simply because they haven't read or seen the contract.

This is why I always must see a contract before starting especially if the contract is through an agency.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Never ceases to amze me. Unless you are working to IR35 or umbrella or dont give a toss about your T&C's, HTF can you operate as a business?

WRT starting work without a contract, I just wonder how many people dont bother getting confirmation when they book hotel. Or just drive without making sure they have insurance.

Absolute crazy.
    I have stayed in many hotels. Quite often I pay when I leave. They have abolutely no guarantee that they will eventually get paid, they have no guarantee that I will not steal the telly or leave a big mess in the fridge.
    I have no idea if the hotel is under a fight path or next to a noisy disco or if the roof will leak.

I make a quick judgement. so do they. I dont ask to see the certificate of indemnity, or their articles.

Sometimes it goes horribly wrong, mostly it goes ok. It's a risk.

To call taking a risk absolutely crazy is, well...absolutely crazy.

you are a fool BB

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Shouldn't that be error-ridden.
    I liked the error / bullet metaphor.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Shouldn't that be error-ridden.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Once again I'm the black sheep.

I often start contracts without them being signed, because the agents seem not to care about anything other than the client signing.

Agents , in my view, do sod all and what they do do (other than the initial pitch and placement) is slow and error riddled.
    baaaa. me too

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Never ceases to amze me. Unless you are working to IR35 or umbrella or dont give a toss about your T&C's, HTF can you operate as a business?

WRT starting work without a contract, I just wonder how many people dont bother getting confirmation when they book hotel. Or just drive without making sure they have insurance.

Absolute crazy.
    You really should be able to tell if your contract is IR35-friendly. If you don't, how can you possibly make sure the actual working conditions are?

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied

Absolute crazy.
    I am operating as a business and am not a disguised employee pretending to be a business. I usually have multiple simultaneous contracts. I work at home or at client site according to how I view the business need. I control my own work. Quibbling over the terminology as to when the client may reasonably refuse a sub is of little interest to me.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    I don't get contracts reviewed.

Absolute crazy.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And you starting on site without a signed contract makes all this acceptable?

You shouldn't give a stuff what anyone things. You get a contract signed and get your own ass covered. **** everyone else and their poor attitudes.

I don't get contracts reviewed.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I often start contracts without them being signed, because the agents seem not to care about anything other than the client signing.

Agents , in my view, do sod all and what they do do (other than the initial pitch and placement) is slow and error riddled.
    And you starting on site without a signed contract makes all this acceptable?

You shouldn't give a stuff what anyone things. You get a contract signed and get your own ass covered. **** everyone else and their poor attitudes.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I would start the gig without signing. If the client lets you on site there is proof that there is a bonafide contract.

In my view unless you really do have something better to do at home or an alternative contract you're throwing money down the drain.

There's a slight risk that the client might cancel, but what have you got to lose, apart from some afternoon telly and in any case a verbal contract is a legally binding contract. I mean if you have the opportunity to go surfing on Bondi Beach I would certainly do that....but it is October and you're in the UK.

Of course check with the agency before you go in. If you turn up and the start date is next week you'll have a wasted journey.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 October 2012, 15:54.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied

I will be starting a gig on Wednesday without a contract but I know the intermediary consultancy and end client very well.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    I wouldn't even entertain turning up on site without a signed contract being in place first. In the past I have started 1 to 2 days later than the client expected because the dopey agent didn't sort the contract out on time

Leave a comment:

Working...
X