• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BAe/EADs merger

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BAe/EADs merger"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    If BAE want to keep growing and access new markets they should buy and bankroll skylon / reaction engines. Much better strategy then merging with a company whose prime business they used to part own and worked hard to get out of.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Totally agree with SAS, so many of the major companies I have worked at, Blue Circle, Rediffusion, Marconi and plenty I didn't, like ICI, have been taken over by foreign companies, asset stripped and factories closed. Insane.
    How We Happened to Sell Off Our Electricity

"There’s only one country that’s stupid enough to sell off its electricity industry, and that’s Britain."
    Well worth a read.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    BAE, EADS drop $45 billion merger plan

EADS and BAE Systems have dropped plans to merge after failing to win political support for a $45 billion deal that would have created a European aerospace and defense giant.

"It has become clear that the interests of the parties' government stakeholders cannot be adequately reconciled with each other or with the objectives that BAE Systems (BAESF) and EADS established for the merger," the companies said in a statement Wednesday.
    As a shareholder I trust I will continue to enjoy above average dividends

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Totally agree with SAS, so many of the major companies I have worked at, Blue Circle, Rediffusion, Marconi and plenty I didn't, like ICI, have been taken over by foreign companies, asset stripped and factories closed. Insane.
    Yeah and they all helped each other out, Blue circle provided Radars for the F3 when Marconi couldn't deliver on time.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Probably not good news for the EADS site in Newport either.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    If this was the US, Germans or French they'd be putting government money in to tide it over during a temporary bad patch.
    Why, oh fooking why, does the UK insist on national self-immolation in the name of "free markets" and "market forces"?
    We've followed that policy since the 80s and look at us now - it's not working is it?
    I think all the big German industrial companies have had government support, either in the form of direct support, tax relief or big government contracts at one time or another, and that includes Daimler Benz, VW, Bosch, Siemens, AEG and BMW; in fact although BMW proudly state that they're the only big car manufacturer not to have recieved state support since the oil crisis, the German police and government buy huge numbers of BMWs and other German products and BMW recieved a huge tax rebate to set up a factory in eastern Germany. I don't think anyone could really claim any of the companies in that list are somehow crappy or lacking success.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Somewhere with no Internet.

A Muslim country and then we can say something rude about Islam and CUK will be blocked.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Nobody.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    who said they would move to France or Germany?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    In fact given the state of France's tax structure i'd say there's a more likely chance the jobs would move over here.
    Not to mention their redundancy regulations.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    In fact given the state of France's tax structure i'd say there's a more likely chance the jobs would move over here.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    and all the nice jobs and tax take will move abroad. Apart from directorships for the MPs involved.
    There's absolutely no reason why that would happen.

The expertise and infrastructure are already here. UK has a big Eads presence via Airbus too.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    The only worry is that they'll tell johnny foreigner all our secrets.

The US will still buy off of EADS.
    and all the nice jobs and tax take will move abroad. Apart from directorships for the MPs involved.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    The only worry is that they'll tell johnny foreigner all our secrets.

The US will still buy off of EADS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X