• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is blocking access to external mail against free speech"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Absolutely. All the world's most successful businesses conduct their communications using Gmail and hotmail from a client site. They're just jealous.
    Well actually,...never mind. But in some cases I've seen it's a lot worse than that. Especially the ones with 'compliance officers' who take it upon themselves to obstruct proper testing in any way possible, while ignoring the fact that senior management can't manage their way out of a paper bag.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 13 September 2012, 17:42.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by BusinessAnalyst2012 View Post
    Surely it is a restriction of trade as it is preventing me from running my business.
    Absolutely. All the world's most successful businesses conduct their communications using Gmail and hotmail from a client site. They're just jealous.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    FTFY
    Thanks. Since the op, I find I miss things from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Clientco blocks personal email - but has wifi points everywhere.
    I declined a clientco laptop for my current contract. I use a generic log-in to their guest network (when I'm on their premises) and then use one of those token thingies for Citrix access to servers.

Leaves me plenty of scope for internet access.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Clientco blocks personal email - but has wifi points everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    Can you please share the exact phrasing of the condition in your mental health check.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Surely it is a restriction of trade as it is preventing me from running my business.
    Can you please share the exact phrasing of the condition in your contract allowing you to use the client's equipment to run your business? I would like something similar in my contract.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    You run your business on your time and equipment. Not theirs.

Good wind up though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    You should consult a lawyer. Lawyers enjoy a good laugh.
    Especially when you're paying them for it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    You should consult a lawyer. Lawyers enjoy a good laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Trust me, they're doing you a favour.

Leave a comment:

• BusinessAnalyst2012
    replied

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Clientco seems to have blocked Gmail, Hotmail etc. Very annoying because it stops me running my business, i.e. returning emails from agents and so on. Would this be against free speech?
    Ask them to block CUK as well, please.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    No, it's against arrogant contractors doing work other than what the client pays them to do.

Get a smartphone FFS and act like the professional you say you are.
    Sorry NLUK, you've logged in to the wrong account

Leave a comment:

Working...
X