• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Examples of using your tech skills in real life?"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by CodeCobbler View Post
    I wrote hello world in C++ that prints to the screen 1000 times in a loop. Was a bit buggy tho.
    and if you step them out a few spaces on each line and scroll then they do a diagonal run up the screen.

I did it in BASIC at Dixons many many years ago when they first put home PC's on display. looked brilliant!

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I built a neural network to predict the stock market but it was f****g useless.

It was actually fun at the time.
    But did it predict the timing of your farts though?

Leave a comment:

• CodeCobbler
    replied
    I wrote hello world in C++ that prints to the screen 1000 times in a loop. Was a bit buggy tho.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I built a neural network to predict the stock market but it was f****g useless.

It was actually fun at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    "In real life" I suppose it depends on how "real", e.g. I've never "saved the day" by using my skills.

But, I had fun with this brain teasing puzzle a couple of years ago:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...as-puzzle.html

I've fixed various things with a soldering iron, electrical and jewellery (the latter impresses the ladies!)

A couple of weeks ago I updated my list of DVDs by extracting DVD titles from all my Amazon "order confirmation" emails. Whether maintaining a list of one's DVDs counts as "real life" is debatable!

Yonks ago I had fun pinning a spoof Wikipedia article to the pub notice board, to confirm some local hearsay/folklore. There were several gasps of "wow it really must be true then" !

I create pub quizzes in seconds using Excel.

Photoshopped some amusing images recently to create personalised coffee mug gifts.

If only I didn't have this day job, it really gets in the way of the fun stuff

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Because you'd fail a CRB or because you'rea lazy git?
    Hey, my paw prints are all over the disclosure system, they let me work on that so...

Becasue I am lazy and I have about 100 things I should be doing. Hardly get time to do anything I want to these days.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It will never happen obviously
    Because you'd fail a CRB or because you'rea lazy git?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I would really like to get involved in some school after hours 'computer club', teaching the basics with the Rasberry Pis when they come out. It will never happen obviously but it would be something I would enjoy. Quite like training people up who are keen to learn, I think it is good for your skills to explain basic principles that you learned years ago to remind yourself of their importance.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Examples of using your tech skills in real life?
    I logged-on to CUK and posted on a thread.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I remember building my first DX 486. got the processor and the board from the states. by the time I'd got round to building it they were on the shelf at Dixons for less than the board and chip had cost me

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I remember making my own laplink cable when I got a pirated copy of Laplink early 90's I think.
    I still have the cable too (I had to run an extra wire outside the sheath because there wasn't enough cores)
    Ah yes. How do I back up my first PC?

Grabbed a couple of RS232 connectors plus a long length of phone cable and made my own link. Nuts to the "experts" who wanted me to pay an arm and a leg for their solution.

Kermit over to a proper computer and thence to tape.

And when I got my first virus, I simply restored the lot.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I made a serial cable and connectors from an old PC to a GPS. It was a bit Heath Robinson though.
    You should see the breakout I made for my Atmel AVR programmer. You can get away with a lot with low speed serial signals. Works though. Which is more than can be said for any of the code I've tried to run on it.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I made a serial cable and connectors from an old PC to a GPS. It was a bit Heath Robinson though.
    Hey, if it works...

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I remember making my own laplink cable when I got a pirated copy of Laplink early 90's I think.
    I still have the cable too (I had to run an extra wire outside the sheath because there wasn't enough cores)
    I did that too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X