• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Examples of using your tech skills in real life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use my contractor skills on a regular basis at home. They ensure I avoid all housework and responsibility.

Can't discuss details now as I have a very important meeting now in... err... the garden, regarding... err... something garden related but very important.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      I use my contractor skills on a regular basis at home. They ensure I avoid all housework and responsibility.
      But most importantly, when you go for a "number 2" at home, do you still use the clients toilet paper?

nomadd liked this post

Comment

I wrote my first website using somebody else's snippets of HTML and a scripting language to drive it from text files.

When I put it through a validator I discovered that the snippets of HTML I'd nicked were extremely dodgy.

Updated the script constants to compliant HTML and hey presto, a website that would pass a validator, without me bothering to really understand HTML.

That trick worked when converting it to HTML 4.0 Strict as well.

And later separating out the CSS.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          I quite often hold my breath and put my head under the water in the bath and can pull the plug out without surfacing.

Diver
          I assume you mean you let it drain while holding your breath not simply you can pull the plug out

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          Stripped my running machine down to the ground after it packed-in completely 6 weeks ago. Grabbed the multimeter and the basic electronics knowledge I'd picked up on the "hardware" side of my computer degree all those years ago. Result, one hour later - with the assistance of my Fluke MM - and she was fixed. Been fine ever since. Saved me £800 on a replacement.
          Nothing so advanced but I took a toy guy apart to disable the sound effects so that I could have the advantage of stealth. It was literally pulling one wire off but compared to Joe Average I think figuring out which wire was connected to the loudspeaker counts.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'll tell you when my Raspberry Pi arrives
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I build all my own desktop PCs and upgrade and fix laptops. Look after my own bikes as well. And I make my own audio cables.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                And I make my own audio cables.
                Good man! I do too and ethernet cables etc.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

I talked a newbie call-center operator through the process to move my phone service to a new but retain my phone number. Poor guy had only had two weeks 'training' and was chucked straight into the deep-end.

Funnily enough I didn't get charged for it.

Comment

I've had to take a soldering iron to my kids' toys on more than one occasion. I make sure i run a narrative of "isn't daddy clever, now work hard at school" while i'm doing it.

Comment

I remember making my own laplink cable when I got a pirated copy of Laplink early 90's I think.
                      I still have the cable too (I had to run an extra wire outside the sheath because there wasn't enough cores)
                      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                      X