• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HTML5 takes the internet by storm"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Been various platform independent web based solutions for apps for a few years. Forget the name of the one I tried, but it crashed my PC. Maybe it's improved since, might have a look at that PhoneGap.

PS Hey that looks pretty simple!!! On android anyway! Android browser supports javascript anyway supposedly. Presume this gives control of various phone features from it.

http://phonegap.com/start#android
    Last edited by xoggoth; 8 May 2012, 21:51.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by bitplane View Post
    The first reason is, unfortunately fashion. Apps are ever-so-trendy nowadays and everyone's got to have one to compliment their corporate Twitter and Facebook accounts. The app stores themselves are a valuable source of new users, a near-free advertising channel that has the potential to draw in hundreds of thousands of muppe^H^H^H^H^Heyeballs. So until the app stores start listing web links, the trend is unlikely to change. I can't see Apple doing this, but maybe Google will (they have on the desktop).

Thankfully we've got frameworks like PhoneGap, which allow you to develop apps in HTML + JavaScript while offering a cross-platform JavaScript API that allows access to the sensor hardware and OS services, so you can write an app once then compile the code for all the different platforms without changing it. Everything ends up looking like a really lazy port from iPhone, but it's way better than developing the same crummy app in Objective C, Java, C# and C++.
    You could use c# / mono with monodroid and monotouch or unity 3d if you really want to. To be honest though I'm startimh to think that HTML 5 with a PhoneGap port for ios marketing purposes is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by bitplane View Post
    The first reason is, unfortunately fashion. Apps are ever-so-trendy nowadays and everyone's got to have one to compliment their corporate Twitter and Facebook accounts. The app stores themselves are a valuable source of new users, a near-free advertising channel that has the potential to draw in hundreds of thousands of muppe^H^H^H^H^Heyeballs. So until the app stores start listing web links, the trend is unlikely to change. I can't see Apple doing this, but maybe Google will (they have on the desktop).

Thankfully we've got frameworks like PhoneGap, which allow you to develop apps in HTML + JavaScript while offering a cross-platform JavaScript API that allows access to the sensor hardware and OS services, so you can write an app once then compile the code for all the different platforms without changing it. Everything ends up looking like a really lazy port from iPhone, but it's way better than developing the same crummy app in Objective C, Java, C# and C++.
    Interesting. And intriguingly it was purchased last year by Adobe: PhoneGap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• bitplane
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Why code apps for different device and device and software versions when a capable web app will run on just about anything?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The BBC appear to have stumbled across Bruce Lawson's presentation without realising it's a parody: Leveraging HTML 5.0

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Its also dead and has been since MS announced its plans for windows 8 see InfoQ: Microsoft has Abandoned Silverlight and All Other Plugins in Metro IE

Yes you can still create silverlight apps but as they won't work in window 8s default mode whats the point.
    Metro IE is a special version; plugins in general are certainly not going away any time soon as they are widely. IE10 still supports plugins in the traditional Windows desktop, which is the one everyone with a PC is going to be using. IE10 Metro is more aimed at tablets/phones.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Still doesn't work on a 3270 terminal. What about people using Charlotte or Lynx?
    I don't think Lynx ever supported Javascript. It's still handy on occasion.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Silverlight is used by Netflix, which is kind of a big deal. However I don't think it's a tech I'd look at learning, it's clearly not going that way... unless you make it a niche.
    Its also dead and has been since MS announced its plans for windows 8 see InfoQ: Microsoft has Abandoned Silverlight and All Other Plugins in Metro IE

Yes you can still create silverlight apps but as they won't work in window 8s default mode whats the point.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Still doesn't work on a 3270 terminal. What about people using Charlotte or Lynx?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    You mean Silverlight?

I've seen it offered as an optional install dozens of time in Windows Update (but not recently). I think I've only found one web page outside Microsoft.com that asked me to download it, and I was surfing on a Linux system at the time so didn't bother.
    That's the one, an entirely predictable turkey

I was thinking of Adobe AIR though; but a quick search reveals that Adobe Edge is the new heir apparent (or in this case AIR apparent)

Truly it was said by the prophet "Many are called, few are chosen"
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 May 2012, 14:37.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Silverlight is used by Netflix, which is kind of a big deal. However I don't think it's a tech I'd look at learning, it's clearly not going that way... unless you make it a niche.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Yippee - Another skill I've been meaning to get up to speed on and practice, but can now forget about.

Like Silverlake or whatever it's called, or is that .Net? (I should know - It's on my CV )
    You mean Silverlight?

I've seen it offered as an optional install dozens of time in Windows Update (but not recently). I think I've only found one web page outside Microsoft.com that asked me to download it, and I was surfing on a Linux system at the time so didn't bother.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Bye-Bye Flash?
    Yippee - Another skill I've been meaning to get up to speed on and practice, but can now forget about.

Like Silverlake or whatever it's called, or is that .Net? (I should know - It's on my CV )

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I still use TABLEs in my HTML...
    Have you got anything sensible to contribute

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Exactly. I have somewhere got a bunch of documentation which is stashed as HTML / Javascript and it works perfectly well offline.
    Well I suppose if one needs separate files in addition to the web app, for holding images , data or whatnot, you might need to "install" a whole folder rather than just a file?

Or if a folder is too complicated, an HTML manifest will cache stuff:
    6.7 Offline Web applications

Leave a comment:

Working...
X