• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HTML5 takes the internet by storm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    If you'd been paying attention in the mid-90s you'll know that by now Java will have long since rendered all issues over platforms redundant, as everything will run in the browser (in a plugin) in a totally platform independent and secure way.

Windows 8 will support HTML5 "apps" too; not quite sure how that works, I guess it's just a different way of packaging the HTML and JS files.

The story about HTML5 is not that it's great and does all these lovely things. The story about HTML5 is that the open source/standards/web community is finally doing the sort of stuff they should have been doing 15 years ago. This is not a triumph; it's an embaressment.
    It's been a while since I read up about HTML5, but I don't think those issues have gone away or been solved just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Put simply it means that there's now much less chance that customers visiting a website will come across a black hole in the middle of the page, or get endless prompts to "download a plug-in" which may take several minutes to install.

By then it is often too late. The consumer has already clicked on a competitor's website.
      Sysman's prediction:
      "Once HTML5 is used everywhere, customers visiting a website will come across an endless barrage of unwanted adverts, sound and video which may take several minutes to download and play before they can see the site's real content.

By then it is often too late. The consumer has already clicked on a competitor's website."

Have to larf:
      People will know what ingredients they have in their refrigerator and keep track of it using an HTML5 app on the screen

Aaron Gustafson Author
      Not that old chestnut again.
      Last edited by Sysman; 8 May 2012, 13:58.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I still use TABLEs in my HTML...

Comment

I'm sure there are cases where you must do a package and install, but I'm not sure I agree that this is the 'general' case. Perhaps you have more complex stuff in mind. An 'install' need only consist of storing an HTML file containing HTML and Javascript, with no need to point to a URL.
          Exactly. I have somewhere got a bunch of documentation which is stashed as HTML / Javascript and it works perfectly well offline.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Exactly. I have somewhere got a bunch of documentation which is stashed as HTML / Javascript and it works perfectly well offline.
            Well I suppose if one needs separate files in addition to the web app, for holding images , data or whatnot, you might need to "install" a whole folder rather than just a file?

Or if a folder is too complicated, an HTML manifest will cache stuff:
            6.7 Offline Web applications

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I still use TABLEs in my HTML...
              Have you got anything sensible to contribute

Comment

Bye-Bye Flash?
                Yippee - Another skill I've been meaning to get up to speed on and practice, but can now forget about.

Like Silverlake or whatever it's called, or is that .Net? (I should know - It's on my CV )
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Yippee - Another skill I've been meaning to get up to speed on and practice, but can now forget about.

Like Silverlake or whatever it's called, or is that .Net? (I should know - It's on my CV )
                  You mean Silverlight?

I've seen it offered as an optional install dozens of time in Windows Update (but not recently). I think I've only found one web page outside Microsoft.com that asked me to download it, and I was surfing on a Linux system at the time so didn't bother.

Comment

Silverlight is used by Netflix, which is kind of a big deal. However I don't think it's a tech I'd look at learning, it's clearly not going that way... unless you make it a niche.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      You mean Silverlight?

I've seen it offered as an optional install dozens of time in Windows Update (but not recently). I think I've only found one web page outside Microsoft.com that asked me to download it, and I was surfing on a Linux system at the time so didn't bother.
                      That's the one, an entirely predictable turkey

I was thinking of Adobe AIR though; but a quick search reveals that Adobe Edge is the new heir apparent (or in this case AIR apparent)

Truly it was said by the prophet "Many are called, few are chosen"
                      Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 May 2012, 14:37.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X