• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Grr - Virus alert at new clientCo - cheers contractorUK!"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Conficker isn't spread by download from infected web sites, it's a network worm that can be picked up from infected media such as CDs, floppies, network shares or USB drives; can try to brute force admin passwords for local networks; or can take advantage of patched vulnerabilities in the MS Windows Server service. But you don't get it from visiting a website, or at least not variant A.

I suggest the OP's report is a false positive, a misidentification, a coincidence (the attack coming from elsewhere but happening as CUK was being viewed), or bulltulip.
    System.out.println("you what?");

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Conficker isn't spread by download from infected web sites, it's a network worm that can be picked up from infected media such as CDs, floppies, network shares or USB drives; can try to brute force admin passwords for local networks; or can take advantage of patched vulnerabilities in the MS Windows Server service. But you don't get it from visiting a website, or at least not variant A.

I suggest the OP's report is a false positive, a misidentification, a coincidence (the attack coming from elsewhere but happening as CUK was being viewed), or bulltulip.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 2 May 2012, 21:51.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I should explain, this happened yesterday morning - was on this site - I checked and didnt see anything other than the usual banner ads either.
    I've not seen anything flagged up on the site, but banner ads themselves can be virus laden

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Have you rebooted it?

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    I should explain, this happened yesterday morning - was on this site - I checked and didnt see anything other than the usual banner ads either.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Got Avast and Malwarebytes on here and no alerts. Will stick one of the ones you mention on. Anyone else getting warnings?
    Had a try with my sacrificial XP/IE6 within a few minutes of the OP; didn't see anything unexpected going over the wire.

Must dash, I'm going to a private viewing at a gallery in town. Free glass of warm plonk FTW!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Nothing on any of the machines here. Avast, AntiVir, MWB

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Sawt it aaaaaaaaaaaauut...

MAL/Conflicker-A by Sophos and Mcafee.

It's only my 2nd week in
    there are some sites with similar names that have viruses (I think one is contractuk). Check the spelling

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Got Avast and Malwarebytes on here and no alerts. Will stick one of the ones you mention on. Anyone else getting warnings?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Bah. MSNSecurity have been wittering about this one recently and trying to blame users for choosing weak passwords.

Microsoft Notes Rise of Once-Dormant Conficker Virus

"Conficker is one of the biggest security problems we face, yet it is well within our power to defend against,” explained Microsoft Trustworthy Computing director Tim Rains. "It is critically important that organizations focus on the security fundamentals to help protect against the most common threats."
    Well pull your finger out Microsoft!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's like you've been cottaging with wim121 and didn't use protection.
    Or FireFox ..

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

It's only my 2nd week in
    It's like you've been cottaging with wim121 and didn't use protection.

Leave a comment:

• Grr - Virus alert at new clientCo - cheers contractorUK!

It's only my 2nd week in

Working...
X