• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Counterfeit pound coins"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Nevermind £1 coins, last week I bought another gold bar and after breaking it in half for a dare I found it was full of tunsgen -

HTH

DimPrawn
    I saw that report the other weekend and thought of posting it here, but then I thought "No, they've probably just finished reading the Mail on Sunday - why make things seem any worse for them"

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I received a fake £10 note a few years ago from Hallmark cards, didn't know it at the time but the back of my mind something didn't feel right with the note when it was handed to me and I put it in my purse. Ignored it and then used it in another store, only for a more aware shop assistant to tell me in front of a long queue it was counterfeit - very embarrassing.

Much more aware nowadays. I try and pay everything with card.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    I eat most of mine...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Nevermind £1 coins, last week I bought another gold bar and after breaking it in half for a dare I found it was full of tunsgen -

HTH

DimPrawn

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    When vending machine does not take one it's 100% fake!
    Spitting on a £1 coin can make a vending machine take a fake coin.

So i've heard.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    When vending machine does not take one it's 100% fake!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    How to spot a fake £1 coin | Money | guardian.co.uk

Three in every 100 £1 coins are fake, according to the latest survey by the Royal Mint. In a sample it found 3.09% of coins were counterfeit, up from 2.94% in its previous survey.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Poundland gave me a whole bunch of change making up a £1 the other week too. The girl on the till said it's the same money, yeah a pocket full of same money. She went way overboard, I must have had 20 coins and might have accepted less, but I soon got a £1 coin when I asked to speak to the manager.
    The peoples' champion, always the life and soul of every party

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Poundland gave me a whole bunch of change making up a £1 the other week too. The girl on the till said it's the same money, yeah a pocket full of same money. She went way overboard, I must have had 20 coins and might have accepted less, but I soon got a £1 coin when I asked to speak to the manager.
    Surely a man of as lavish and extravagant as yourself could have found something else in Poundland that you wanted.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Tesco seem to be prime offenders in taking away any £5 notes they receive at the tills at frequent intervals, presumably because they want to give you a pocket full of change.

Just tell the poor girl at Poundland (or Aldi) or whatever other cheap place you go to keep the change! Or are you a permie now?

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Am I the only one who still checks every 20p I get for the missing date thing? Anyone else still doing that?
    Nope! I still do it, although i have started to wonder why TF i bother, never found one

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Am I the only one who still checks every 20p I get for the missing date thing? Anyone else still doing that?

Only ever found one - got over £50 for it.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Pound Coins?
    20 pences?

Sorry, you've lost me there

There's only the folding stuff, the plastic cards, and the dreggs you tell the cashier to chuck in the charity box as you walk away from the till

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    I always keep an eye out for fakes but so far have only come across one, which is odd as some estimates suggest that up to 1 in 20 pound coins are fake.

Having said that I refuse to deal in piddling small change, so maybe that's why.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    No, real contractors drink cat but coffee
    "Civet Bang"? Named after the noise it makes after it leaves that "cat's" arse?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X