• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Counterfeit pound coins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I've looked I find I have a Gibraltar pound with a picture of a Neanderthal skull on the back.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      When travelling south of the border I get English notes from the bank or use an ATM. Not sure whether they're legal tender or not but best to avoid the grief.
      I had thought this was getting better over the years, but in my experience the upswing in foreign workers at food and coffee joints has caused a new level of confusion.

Now Northern Irish notes.......

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Poundland gave me a whole bunch of change making up a £1 the other week too. The girl on the till said it's the same money, yeah a pocket full of same money. She went way overboard, I must have had 20 coins and might have accepted less, but I soon got a £1 coin when I asked to speak to the manager.
        This post, aghhhhhhh ... no sense .... it makes no sense ....

If everything is a pound in a pound shop, why on earth would they need any other change apart from £1 to hand out?

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
          This post, aghhhhhhh ... no sense .... it makes no sense ....

If everything is a pound in a pound shop, why on earth would they need any other change apart from £1 to hand out?
          I imagine they can easily run out of £1 coins if they're not careful. People walking in with £5 or £10 notes would get a lot of £1 coins in change.

As for how they obtain the loose change, some people less fortunate than contractors such as yourself may have to scrimp and save for weeks for that £1 jar of coffee

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            As for how they obtain the loose change, some people less fortunate than contractors such as yourself may have to scrimp and save for weeks for that £1 jar of coffee
            You can get a jar of coffee for less than £10.

Doesn't everyone drink venezulan beaver coffee with essence of panda sperm?

sas

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              You can get a jar of coffee for less than £10.

Doesn't everyone drink venezulan beaver coffee with essence of panda sperm?

sas
              Only when we've run out of the good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                I imagine they can easily run out of £1 coins if they're not careful. People walking in with £5 or £10 notes would get a lot of £1 coins in change.

LOL, I buy that coffee all the time, it's Maxwell House Classic Roast and is okay IMO. £1 for 95g, can't complain. I also regularly buy 3 cans of coke (£1) and a box of After Eights (£1).

They have their camping season on at the moment, which is worth taking a look at even if you don't camp. E.g. 15m of cord (£1), a waterproof throwaway coat (£1), space blanket, etc.

Comment

Am I the only one who still checks every 20p I get for the missing date thing? Anyone else still doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    LOL, I buy that coffee all the time, it's Maxwell House Classic Roast and is okay IMO. £1 for 95g, can't complain. I also regularly buy 3 cans of coke (£1) and a box of After Eights (£1).

They have their camping season on at the moment, which is worth taking a look at even if you don't camp. E.g. 15m of cord (£1), a waterproof throwaway coat (£1), space blanket, etc.
                    How much is the space blanket? Tell us! Tell us!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                      How much is the space blanket? Tell us! Tell us!
                      Two for £1.

Comment

Working...
                      X