• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sticking out a boring contract"

Collapse

• No2politics
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Would you be interested in some consultancy work during out next stand up team meeting?
    Stand up team meetings? IR35 alert!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I'm so bored wfh in this contract that I bought myself one of these

Set myself up a target at the bottom of the drive and in between conference calls I practice my shooting out of the study window

Sometimes I use the local wood pigeons as alternative targets but the namby pamby velocity limit on modern air rifles means all I can do is tickle them
    Would you be interested in some consultancy work during out next stand up team meeting?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I'm so bored wfh in this contract that I bought myself one of these

Set myself up a target at the bottom of the drive and in between conference calls I practice my shooting out of the study window

Sometimes I use the local wood pigeons as alternative targets but the namby pamby velocity limit on modern air rifles means all I can do is tickle them

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why do I need a link to point out £10 is not a substantial amount? Bit of common needs to be applied as well.
    That's rich coming from someone who tired to claim that the toilets at Wigan North Western are a substantially different work location from Wallgate just because the council made you take your mobility scooter round the new one way system.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You need to look at the factors in combination:

- Destination
    - Journey
    - Cost

I will quote what I always do:
    Absolutely agree, but the thread wasn't taking all three in to consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Depends if that cost is going up from peanuts to 3x peanuts.

I was just trying to put a reminder in to the discussion that you have to consider substantial. Some of the posts were discussing the change of 10 miles etc.... The term is littered throughout the HMRC guidance yet we have ended up analysing micro situations and getting giddy about it.

We are also getting too hung up on fictitious examples using cost alone and we have already agreed that going to work in the car costs £10 in petrol, taking the train costing £40 does not reset the clock.
    You need to look at the factors in combination:

- Destination
    - Journey
    - Cost

I will quote what I always do:

Sometimes it may be difficult to decide whether a change of workplace should be recognised. The basic principle is that a change in the location or the boundaries of a workplace will be recognised as a change of workplace where the change has a substantial effect on:

the journey an employee has to make to get to work and, in particular,
    the cost of that journey.

In practice you should recognise the change of workplace in all cases except where the change has made no significant difference to the commuting journey.
    The baseline assumption is that a change of workplace is a change unless the journey (and in particular the cost) is not significantly affected. HMRC may take a view, but if you had the stomach to go to tribunal, I don't believe £2,200 p.a. would be seen as not substantial.

Edit: further thought. Is there a confidential HMRC helpline where they will give a position on this kind of thing?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Where does HMRC document that they are talking about explicit values rather than percentages?

Why should trebling the cost not count as a substantial difference?
    Depends if that cost is going up from peanuts to 3x peanuts.

I was just trying to put a reminder in to the discussion that you have to consider substantial. Some of the posts were discussing the change of 10 miles etc.... The term is littered throughout the HMRC guidance yet we have ended up analysing micro situations and getting giddy about it.

We are also getting too hung up on fictitious examples using cost alone and we have already agreed that going to work in the car costs £10 in petrol, taking the train costing £40 does not reset the clock.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Nope.
    Is it trivial?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Where does HMRC document that they are talking about explicit values rather than percentages?

There is something about that MF avatar that makes you want to stick the knife in, isn't there?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Is £2,200 p.a. substantial?
    Not to me

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Why do I need a link to point out £10 is not a substantial amount? Bit of common needs to be applied as well.
    Is £2,200 p.a. substantial?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Which bit?
    All of it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Do you have a link to substantiate this position?
    Which bit?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X