• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sticking out a boring contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Which bit?
    All of it.

Comment

Why do I need a link to point out £10 is not a substantial amount? Bit of common needs to be applied as well.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why do I need a link to point out £10 is not a substantial amount? Bit of common needs to be applied as well.
        Where does HMRC document that they are talking about explicit values rather than percentages?

Why should trebling the cost not count as a substantial difference?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Is £2,200 p.a. substantial?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Is £2,200 p.a. substantial?
            Not to me

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Where does HMRC document that they are talking about explicit values rather than percentages?

There is something about that MF avatar that makes you want to stick the knife in, isn't there?

Comment

Nope.
                Is it trivial?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Depends if that cost is going up from peanuts to 3x peanuts.

I was just trying to put a reminder in to the discussion that you have to consider substantial. Some of the posts were discussing the change of 10 miles etc.... The term is littered throughout the HMRC guidance yet we have ended up analysing micro situations and getting giddy about it.

We are also getting too hung up on fictitious examples using cost alone and we have already agreed that going to work in the car costs £10 in petrol, taking the train costing £40 does not reset the clock.

Comment

Depends if that cost is going up from peanuts to 3x peanuts.

I was just trying to put a reminder in to the discussion that you have to consider substantial. Some of the posts were discussing the change of 10 miles etc.... The term is littered throughout the HMRC guidance yet we have ended up analysing micro situations and getting giddy about it.

We are also getting too hung up on fictitious examples using cost alone and we have already agreed that going to work in the car costs £10 in petrol, taking the train costing £40 does not reset the clock.
                    You need to look at the factors in combination:

- Destination
                    - Journey
                    - Cost

I will quote what I always do:

Sometimes it may be difficult to decide whether a change of workplace should be recognised. The basic principle is that a change in the location or the boundaries of a workplace will be recognised as a change of workplace where the change has a substantial effect on:

the journey an employee has to make to get to work and, in particular,
                    the cost of that journey.

In practice you should recognise the change of workplace in all cases except where the change has made no significant difference to the commuting journey.
                    The baseline assumption is that a change of workplace is a change unless the journey (and in particular the cost) is not significantly affected. HMRC may take a view, but if you had the stomach to go to tribunal, I don't believe £2,200 p.a. would be seen as not substantial.

Edit: further thought. Is there a confidential HMRC helpline where they will give a position on this kind of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      You need to look at the factors in combination:

- Destination
                      - Journey
                      - Cost

I will quote what I always do:
                      Absolutely agree, but the thread wasn't taking all three in to consideration.

Comment

Working...
                      X