• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A general discussion on Indian consultancies and racism..."

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Oh, us tester's are living the dream. I'm switching another bar of my electric fire on thanks to crap code.
    Electric fire... Luxury...and other monty python references.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
    Does this broadly fall under non-billable time?

And this, under billable time?:

And as a contractor, the rate might reflect how often one does things correctly based on prior research & understanding?
    Just asking like...
    Always learning mate, when billing and not billing. Customers seem to like it and keep on paying. I was going to write something funny and witty but no it's not happening.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Bobs?

Well who the **** else is going to wash the bloody elephants?
    So how was your first week as a dirty permie?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Bobs?

Well who the **** else is going to wash the bloody elephants?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Oh, us tester's are living the dream. I'm switching another bar of my electric fire on thanks to crap code.
    You poor sod; I've got the full on electric fan heater AND a little bio-ethanol table fire. And a bottle of cheap plonk from my local Lidl!

All thanks to crap code!

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    It warms my heart to know you can afford to heat your one room bedsit tonight because of the work I and others like me couldnt be arsed to do properly.

Leave a comment:

• yetanotherbob
    replied
    Does this broadly fall under non-billable time?
    learn a lot when I have time to research, understand
    And this, under billable time?:
    and do something correctly.
    And as a contractor, the rate might reflect how often one does things correctly based on prior research & understanding?
    Just asking like...

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ...and lots of work and money for freelance testers, for which I thank you Sir.
    It warms my heart to know you can afford to heat your one room bedsit tonight because of the work I and others like me couldnt be arsed to do properly.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I find I learn a lot when I have time to research, understand and do something correctly. When I'm under extreme pressure I find the fastest way to do the job, which usually leads to crap code and problems later on.
    ...and lots of work and money for freelance testers, for which I thank you Sir.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    On the subject of vendor management - I appreciate the neeed for SLA's, penalty clauses for non delviery etc etc etc.

However if things go wrong and the vendor starts quibbling over contracts ect and what is/is not covered

Have you not really wasted a lot of time and money trying to outsource something which in reallity you need to have full complete direct control off?

It just seems that outsorucing+effective vendor management is short term cash savings without addressing a longer term underlying problem?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
    I too work for 7.5 hrs as contracted. Most of us do. I was talking about Indian employees in India. Yes, staff are under extreme pressure there. But they end up learning a lot
    I find I learn a lot when I have time to research, understand and do something correctly. When I'm under extreme pressure I find the fastest way to do the job, which usually leads to crap code and problems later on.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Toilets are one thing you should never outsource.
    Previous client had outsourced toilets which were managed and maintained by a third part contractor and were predictably shocking. They were Portaloos next to the Portacabin (probably also outsourced) office suspended above the car production line ... was the worst environment I’ve ever experienced to work in. Noisy, dark, leaked, smelly (of engine oil amongst other delightful smells) and cold
    Last edited by redgiant; 24 February 2012, 14:19.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Eventually he got access and found there were close to 1000 dumps per day, which explains the endusers' complaints. The normal number of dumps in a system of that size would be maybe 100 on a bad day?
    Toilets are one thing you should never outsource.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The funniest one I have personally seen was a fairly well known organisation who outsourced their existing IT departments and not only went with the cheapest option but split it between two providers who each wanted the whole deal. The end result was months of gridlock as long standing colleagues on different teams were no longer allowed to speak directly to each other without management approval. I walked into this under the umbrella of one of the outsourcers and left (my choice) after three months, at which point I was still waiting for the JDK I had requested on day 1 to be installed by desktop support, who were on the "other side".
    I know a multinational that did that. As soon as you had a problem, it was always the other vendor's responsibility. It was company policy that dissing the "partners" wasn't permitted. A new manager went in, and wanted to know how many dumps on the production system - he wasn't allowed to look himself. "Oh not many". "How many?!". "Oh, not many". Eventually he got access and found there were close to 1000 dumps per day, which explains the endusers' complaints. The normal number of dumps in a system of that size would be maybe 100 on a bad day?

Insane.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    I am an indian and i will never touch an indian IT company with a bargepole. The reason being there is too much office politics, backstabbing, low pay, long working hours, horrible bosses who think they own you. The list goes on and on.
    Lots of people like me work in this country not only for better money but also good work environment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X