• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Beyond me.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Beyond me."

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    How come I get neg repped for saying that and everyone else gets a clap and plus repped <sigh>
    Is that a little bit of wee thats coming out on to the bed there?

Man up, are you sure you are cut out for posting on an Internet forum?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    A lot less than if you spend 6 months planning, by which time everyone has lost sight of the orginal requirement.
    True, true. Have you seen the anti-pattern list on wikipedia?

You are on "A" for "Analysis Paralysis"

We are currently in an Avalanche / Death March mashup

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Dive in, no planning? Ballsy but I like it.

What could possibly go wrong
    A lot less than if you spend 6 months planning, by which time everyone has lost sight of the orginal requirement.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I like the JFDI approach.
    Dive in, no planning? Ballsy but I like it.

What could possibly go wrong

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I like the JFDI approach.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Today I taught the project manager how to use Microsoft Project.
    Why, didn't they have any actual project managing to do? Did you want to tie them up with Project so they'd be too busy to get in the way?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I love my project. It's an internal project, and basically just me. Doing everything. Which suits me fine.

Unfortunately, we need a project plan to justify my extension. So it's in my interests to ensure the PM does it to my requirements...
    Aww a pet PM

Fresh straw every day and keep topping up their water.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I love my project. It's an internal project, and basically just me. Doing everything. Which suits me fine.

Unfortunately, we need a project plan to justify my extension. So it's in my interests to ensure the PM does it to my requirements...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    No but the one I'm working for is currently ill due to stress. Its remarkable how much more can be done when he isn't "managing".

Fair play

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    You've seen one of these in the flesh? Did you do your lottery numbers that day as well?
    No but the one I'm working for is currently ill due to stress. Its remarkable how much more can be done when he isn't "managing".

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Discussing this today we reckon enough common sense to leave the clueful people to it and distract the others to let the clueful get on with it undisturbed.
    You've seen one of these in the flesh? Did you do your lottery numbers that day as well?

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    How much experience makes a good IT Project manager though? 18 months? 18 years?
    Depends on the individual.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    How much experience makes a good IT Project manager though? 18 months? 18 years?
    Discussing this today we reckon enough common sense to leave the clueful people to it and distract the others to let the clueful get on with it undisturbed.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I think she's been dropped in the role. Nice girl, and seems bright and capable, so I'm sure she'll be great with a bit of experience under her belt.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Really? In my experience, most project managers know nothing but how to use MS Project.
    I think she's been dropped in the role. Nice girl, and seems bright and capable, so I'm sure she'll be great with a bit of experience under her belt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X