• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone got a Business / Personal Lease car - some very tempting offers around..."

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    All good until you find out that your next gig is a 200 mile round trip and then spend the next 2 years trying not to use a car you payed good money for... either that Or you hose the milage in 5 months and then have to pay half the remaining lease fee to give it back or every mile for the rest of the lease costs you more than the petrol...
    Thats what I've always been worried about....

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    My accountant advised me, on my particular circumstances, that it was better to rent personally and claim mileage rather than trying to reclaim VAT and petrol with BIK implications etc

Obviously DYOR

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You need to check the extra charge on mileage over 10k. 26k pure business let alone personal is going to incur some hefty extra mileage charges I would have thought.
    ok, but if I can get a deal that addresses the milage - what are the tax implications?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    What are the implications on this tax wise?

Currently I'm doing about 500 miles a week, which is giving me about £200 tax-free [ although I've got all the wear & tear on the car.

If I leased - whats the deal on milage BIK?

I presume the LTD pays the lease so, if the lease was £200 a month then the only cost to me is personal milage?
    You need to check the extra charge on mileage over 10k. 26k pure business let alone personal is going to incur some hefty extra mileage charges I would have thought.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    What are the implications on this tax wise?

Currently I'm doing about 500 miles a week, which is giving me about £200 tax-free [ although I've got all the wear & tear on the car.

If I leased - whats the deal on milage BIK?

I presume the LTD pays the lease so, if the lease was £200 a month then the only cost to me is personal milage?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I have a 55 plate Cadillac CTS with 88k on the clock, 3.6 ltr, all toys under the sun, paid 4k, but has LPG, love it, massively fast, and 67p a litre on gas.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    Ditto, I got a Seat Leon FR+ 170 TDi for less £300 all toys included. You cant buy for that price, AND i got it in 3wks which over the xmas period was impressive. No hassles of selling it in 2 years and making a massive loss as per my A4 on finance 12mths ago. I hand it back, and either lease another, or move on!
    All good until you find out that your next gig is a 200 mile round trip and then spend the next 2 years trying not to use a car you payed good money for... either that Or you hose the milage in 5 months and then have to pay half the remaining lease fee to give it back or every mile for the rest of the lease costs you more than the petrol...

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Yup, i've recently got one after musing it over for a while but I went for a small economical motor as anything big doesn't make financial sense whereas I dont get hammered tax-wise as mine hugs trees.

What swayed me was its brand new motor that I could spec myself, no hassle if it breaks and no tax. In 2 years I get to spec and choose another different brand new shiny motor.

The price you quote will end up balls though, I've got an A1 and pay £300/month for that (although I did go for all the toys, uprated audio, media pack, tw@t nav, rain pack, light pack etc etc etc). So add a bit to that because you WILL want to add toys once you see the options brochure.

All in all, i'm happy I went that route.

Bad points - I've still got to fix what gets accidently damaged, I need to hand it back in good nick in 2 years time so if a scrote runs a key up it or one of the kids pukes on the seats, it'll cost me. If I somehow end up unable to find work for a few months i'm screwed but theres always work out there so i'm not overly worried.

Go for it...
    Ditto, I got a Seat Leon FR+ 170 TDi for less £300 all toys included. You cant buy for that price, AND i got it in 3wks which over the xmas period was impressive. No hassles of selling it in 2 years and making a massive loss as per my A4 on finance 12mths ago. I hand it back, and either lease another, or move on!

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    As above, does anyone have a car on personal / business lease and have any constructive feedback on them.

I've been toying with the idea for a while. I have always purchased my cars outright, but when I saw a deal for, say, an Audi A6 for £220 + VAT a month on a 6 + 23 it got me thinking.
    Yup, i've recently got one after musing it over for a while but I went for a small economical motor as anything big doesn't make financial sense whereas I dont get hammered tax-wise as mine hugs trees.

What swayed me was its brand new motor that I could spec myself, no hassle if it breaks and no tax. In 2 years I get to spec and choose another different brand new shiny motor.

The price you quote will end up balls though, I've got an A1 and pay £300/month for that (although I did go for all the toys, uprated audio, media pack, tw@t nav, rain pack, light pack etc etc etc). So add a bit to that because you WILL want to add toys once you see the options brochure.

All in all, i'm happy I went that route.

Bad points - I've still got to fix what gets accidently damaged, I need to hand it back in good nick in 2 years time so if a scrote runs a key up it or one of the kids pukes on the seats, it'll cost me. If I somehow end up unable to find work for a few months i'm screwed but theres always work out there so i'm not overly worried.

Go for it...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
    One thing to watch out for is that they base their offers on basic models. So they might say:

Car value at new: £20,000
    Monthly fee: £200 x 24

But then if you add, say £1500 of extras (wheels, stereo, leather, metallic paint), rather than adding that to the value at new and factoring in only the depreciation of those items, they add the entire cost to your monthly fee, making it £200 + (£1500/24) = £262.50.

So they don't take into consideration the higher residual value of the vehicle given your additional extras, which you have paid for in their entirety anyway.

This is just in my experience, but thought I'd mention it as I don't think it's made very clear by some companies.
    Well I've always reckoned that you can pretty much write off the cost of extras when selling a car, and I'm fairly sure leasing companies think the same way. A pile of extras might make it more saleable when it comes to the crunch of course.

Not that I'm complaining. I've done quite well over the years buying 2 year old top of the model range motors piled high with extras.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    My god you lot are poor. are you all on benefits?
    Our agents take too large a cut!

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Think you are quoting the old 730d, current 730d 0-60 7.2
    I was comparing E65 with E65. I have tried the new one, and it is quicker, but its not 5.5, whatever the torque.

I find that the big diesels arequick off the mark but run out of puff quickly, hence the 2-3 second difference to 60 for similar torque outputs. Don't believe the hype, petrol is still quicker than diesel, and having compared MPGs, not any better in a big car, and more expensive per gallon. I can't see why I would change.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Says the man who boosts about living in Wandsworth.
    I'm truly sorry you're so ignorant. Wouldn't want to be ya.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No wonder so many contractors end up poor. Frittering away large amounts of cash on a vanity object.
    Invest the money so you can get out of the rat race instead
    Says the man who boosts about living in Wandsworth.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    No wonder so many contractors end up poor. Frittering away large amounts of cash on a vanity object.
    Invest the money so you can get out of the rat race instead

Leave a comment:

Working...
X