• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nice part of Manchester"

Collapse

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    As for Wilmslow/Alderley Edge, they are far from everywhere and transport links not that good unless you want to use train.
    I don't get this comment at all. I lived in Wilmslow and the only real advantage was that it was so easy to get out of. I used to cycle to the airport when I had to fly anywhere on contracts; there is a direct train to Euston (I even commuted daily during one contract); and the M56 is about 5 minutes away, and can take you in all sorts of directions (to M6 south and north, to North Wales, to M60 round Manchester to M62 etc).

I'm not recommending Wilmslow (probably the dullest place I've ever lived), but have to correct the transport links comment. It was fantastic for that.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Knowing Dodgy, a ******* immigrant!
    Belgian

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    WHS. What sort of contractor is unable to ask this type of question directly?
    Knowing Dodgy, a ******* immigrant!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Not in the Top 10 though. Doesn't count.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    You're really selling it Chris. "Come to Warrington, it's a bit like Reading only smaller, and it's not as bad as Portsmouth".
    I'll save it for if the tourist board have a competition.

I wish I was good at photoshop. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
    Like I said, if you've ever been to Reading, it's a bit like that...just one size smaller.
    Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
    I would rather live there than say Reading or Portsmouth
    You're really selling it Chris. "Come to Warrington, it's a bit like Reading only smaller, and it's not as bad as Portsmouth".

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    We have placed contractor to work in Warrington. he wants to live somewhere that is commutable and close to Manchester and doesnt want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere are Wilmslow and Alderley Edge the best places?
    If driving he would be best living somewhere south of Manchester (Altrincham is on the metrolink to Manchester, or Knutsford is nice) and then he could utilize the M56,A556/A50 and would be going against the traffic with options either motorway or not.

If no car Stockton heath is nice (suburb of Warrington has some trendy bars pubs and restaurants ).

He could alternatively live in the center of manchester, should be lots of flats to rent in the trendy Northern Quarter and from Piccadilly station to Warrington central the fastest train is 20 mins. This would assume his work is close to the centre!

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    "Since when did agents sort out contractors accomodation though?"

Actually, it's a b***dy good idea. If you have a pimp who knows your destination area / letting agents etc.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Salford without a doubt.

End of motorway, straight in to Warrington. Cheap rent.

Since when did agents sort out contractors accomodation though? You gonna get a cut of it or something?

WHS. What sort of contractor is unable to ask this type of question directly?

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Swindon makes Warrington look like Las Vegas.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    No sign of Swindon I notice. Hope you are going to apologise Alf?

Swindon | Chavtowns - Britain's worst places to live!

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Hmmm...

Those bottom two paragraphs look very familiar.
    Is plagarism a form of flattery too??

Going to see who the other 38 are :-)

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    No sign of Swindon I notice. Hope you are going to apologise Alf?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    We have placed contractor to work in Warrington. he wants to live somewhere that is commutable and close to Manchester and doesnt want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere are Wilmslow and Alderley Edge the best places?
    how old is he and does he need to be closer to shops and/or gyms and/or bars?

having lived in Didsbury and Chorlton whilst working in Warrington, I can confirm that driving their isn't too bad... could be better though
    The train service from Manchester to Warrington is frequent, cheap and fast (20mins or so on the express) if he fancies living right in the middle of a proper city then that is an option

there are plenty of places closer though:
    Chester, Frodsham and Halton are all nice and only a short motorway drive away.
    Lymm and Culcheth are very close and recommendable.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Warrington | Chavtowns - Britain's worst places to live!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X