• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Afternoon tea in London?"

Collapse

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Good call Nick, we went there on Saturday morning and it was pretty nice. Thanks!
    Every time you look at the name you will think about me though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Diana's Diner - their fried bread is awesome. It's not called an all-day breakfast for nothing, you know

EDIT: Good review on Russell Davies's egg, bacon, chips and beans blog:

Good call Nick, we went there on Saturday morning and it was pretty nice. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Why not take her up the Oxo Tower?
    KUATB

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Its always nice to go up the Oxo tower. fnar fnar

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    They might be trying to tell you something
    I wouldn't be surprised!

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    For afternoon tea, Fortnum and Mason is supposed to be very good (and comparatively reasonably priced).
    Yep I recommend Fortnum & Mason for tea followed by dinner at The Albemarle Restaurant (Browns Hotel)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It seems The Ritz is already booked up for 2 months ahead, when we'll be in London for our anniversary. Are there any other swanky places we could go, that are worth the money?

Probably going to try and fit in one posh lunch/dinner too... went to 15 last time and would quite like to try Heston's new place, but there must be dozens of great places with Michelin stars and the like... recommendations for posh English/Indian places welcome.
    What's The Ivy like... pretentious or worth it?
    Afternoon tea is great fun. I went to the Waldorf but that was 15 years ago.

If someone wants to arrange a CUK afternoon tea, I could be up for that.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    For afternoon tea, Fortnum and Mason is supposed to be very good (and comparatively reasonably priced).

For a caff, second the suggestion above for the Regency.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Why not take her up the Oxo Tower?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I've been to the 3 or 4 times. The service is rubbish - I mean it, diabolical.

They might be trying to tell you something

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by manclarky View Post
    I like "Simpson's on the Strand" for breakfast
    Ah, but does it have grubby lino and rickety furniture?

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Has anyone been to the Savoy for afternoon tea since it reopened? Have managed to book a table in March but have some time to change it somewhere better if it's a bit tulip.

Leave a comment:

• manclarky
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Diana's Diner - their fried bread is awesome. It's not called an all-day breakfast for nothing, you know
    I like "Simpson's on the Strand" for breakfast

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Jamie Oliver's gaff Barbecoa in New Change.

Awesome steaks.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I come over all tourettes when ever I'm forced into such establishments. Something about the pretentious poncy snobby ***** you find in these places I just can't stand.

Was in one (though a country place, not central London, but expect they're much the same) last year for a funeral wake. High tea I think they called it. A cup of tea and a cake for something like £20 per head.

I was tempted to recreate that food fight Rihanna did on X Factor, but as it was an auntie's wake I didn't want the grief off my cousins.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Not been for years, but have been to "The Chop House" on Butlers Warf. Straight across the river from where you are staying. S&K pud with oysters is top stuff (and I dont like oysters).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X