• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The right conviction but is it unsafe?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    They are as guilty as sin, but what is an even bigger crime is the seemingly endless list of cock-ups perpetrated by those goons in the Met.
    Indeed. At the time of the murder the police moved people on with more than 3 years experience! Too many inexperienced officers meant the vital early days were wasted.

The right people have been convicted - though there is not enough evidence! I know this sounds like a contradiction.

At the time of the murder I lived 400 yards from the scene. And I still live only a couple of miles away. I resent the way Eltham has been portrayed as intitutionally racist. Its actually a really nice places to live.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    The good thing to come out of it is that they will (hopefully) be much more careful in future about possible cross contamination.
    Why?

Now they've established they can fit up anyone whenever the police force is a bit embarassed, we can expect a lot more cross-contamination.

Just tell the whole country someone did it, then suddenly find a speck of blood somewhere, easy as anything.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    The good thing to come out of it is that they will (hopefully) be much more careful in future about possible cross contamination.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    They'll have been guilty of something.
    Thus spake the moderator.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    They'll have been guilty of something.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So they've finally managed to pin a murder rap on two of guys for the Stephen Lawrence murder. It would appear from what you read it is the correct verdict but is it unsafe. From watching the proceedings for some time the entire
    conviction is based on the tiny amount of DNA which to be honest I would have thought the contamination defence was quite strong. Is this up for appeal and at some
    point will we find this a 'wrongfulconviction'

Gary Dobson & David Norris convicted on Stephen Lawrence murder: Dad Neville in plea for ‘full justice’ | The Sun |News
    It was not just based on forensics but also bases on testimony and circumstantial evidence however, I agree that the forensics were a load a tosh. I think the forensic evidence should have been thrown out especially the DNA which was not a full profile.

I hope they right people were convicted, but the doubt in this case is yet another reason for not having capital punishment.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    They are as guilty as sin, but what is an even bigger crime is the seemingly endless list of cock-ups perpetrated by those goons in the Met.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Given that the verdict was reached by a jury that had access to all the evidence considered to be appropriate, rather than just "what you read", I would imagine there's a good chance it's a safe conviction. The powers that be couldn't afford to screw this case up (again).
    If the Daily Mail say they're innocent then thats good enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Given that the verdict was reached by a jury that had access to all the evidence considered to be appropriate, rather than just "what you read", I would imagine there's a good chance it's a safe conviction. The powers that be couldn't afford to screw this case up (again).

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    The hair evidence may be a bit suspect - cross contamination could apply there.

But the blood evidence still holds up. Once the blood has dried, even if you store multiple items together for years, blood doesn't magically liquify from one garment, then re-dry on another item. It's bloody hard (every pun intended) to get dried blood out of anything.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    started a topic The right conviction but is it unsafe?

The right conviction but is it unsafe?

So they've finally managed to pin a murder rap on two of guys for the Stephen Lawrence murder. It would appear from what you read it is the correct verdict but is it unsafe. From watching the proceedings for some time the entire
    conviction is based on the tiny amount of DNA which to be honest I would have thought the contamination defence was quite strong. Is this up for appeal and at some
    point will we find this a 'wrongfulconviction'

Gary Dobson & David Norris convicted on Stephen Lawrence murder: Dad Neville in plea for ‘full justice’ | The Sun |News

Working...
X