• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Man complains about Union Jack being flown all year"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The thing is that the guy who complained has a point - the Union Jack has become a symbol of some far right groups.

Perhaps the question should be how do we reclaim the Union Jack from the far right groups?

Though these days I am ashamed to be British. Several hundred years of leading the world and now we sit back and watch as our competitive advantage goes to Asia. Soon as the kids are old enough I intend to move to a decent country.
    His view is totally subjective. Anyone can choose the flag to mean whatever they want it to mean. The flag is the emblem of Britain if they dont like it then they know what to do.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    The language that existed before English you mean?
    Dinosaurs and cavemen existed before English as well.. HTH..

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Indeed. That one with the dragon is made up, like the language.

Max Boyce is real though.
    The language that existed before English you mean?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    [QUOTE=NotAllThere;1430284]By non-racist people proudly flying it. Even EternalOptimist and Wilmslow[QUOTE]

FTFY...
    Badly.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    What?

It doesn't have a pasty on it?

Whatever next.

That's racist that is.
    The pasty may be the 'national' vegetable but not everyone thinks such things belong on flags

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Shirley that would be local pride unless Cornwall has now become a nation
    Hence the quotes. Although to many, Cornwall is a country. A few loons even want to make that official

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    [QUOTE=NotAllThere;1430284]By non-racist people proudly flying it. Even EternalOptimist and Wilmslow[QUOTE]

FTFY...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    That is because Wales as a nation ceased to exist before the act of Union. It was ceded to the Kingdom of England and made a principality thereof. Thus Wales is represented by the English part of the flag.
    Indeed. That one with the dragon is made up, like the language.

Max Boyce is real though.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...Perhaps the question should be how do we reclaim the Union Jack from the far right groups?...
    By non-racist people proudly flying it. Even bearded, sandle-wearing, bleeding heart, wishy-washy, liberal, tree-hugging hippies.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    And of course the Welsh flag is the only one of the 4 home nations not represented in the Union Flag
    That is because Wales as a nation ceased to exist before the act of Union. It was ceded to the Kingdom of England and made a principality thereof. Thus Wales is represented by the English part of the flag.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    And of course the Welsh flag is the only one of the 4 home nations not represented in the Union Jack.
    Laws in Wales Acts - Wales was formally incorporated into the Kingdom of England

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    You'll see the Welsh flag flying proud in all parts of Wales and I imagine the Scots would give you short shrift if you complained about their flying of the St.Andrew cross.

The Union Flag, and to a lesser extent, the St.George cross might be considered the symbols of racist groups, but surely by flying the flag in the manner this muppet complained about is surely the best way to reclaim it as a national symbol.
    And of course the Welsh flag is the only one of the 4 home nations not represented in the Union Flag
    Last edited by psychocandy; 18 November 2011, 09:38.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The only place I've lived with a lot of "national pride" is Cornwall.
    Shirley that would be local pride unless Cornwall has now become a nation

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Just need to decide on the flag - I am thinking of St Andrews flag as I am half Scottish,
    Which half is Scottish?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    The thing is that the guy who complained has a point - the Union Jack has become a symbol of some far right groups.

Perhaps the question should be how do we reclaim the Union Jack from the far right groups?

Though these days I am ashamed to be British. Several hundred years of leading the world and now we sit back and watch as our competitive advantage goes to Asia. Soon as the kids are old enough I intend to move to a decent country.
    I thought it was just the St Georges Cross which had been mis-appropriated by the far right nutters.
    The union jack still gets waved around a lot for the queen/proms etc

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Use our separate national flags - English, Scottish, etc?

The only place I've lived with a lot of "national pride" is Cornwall. Quite common to see flags and so on there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X