• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New £50 note

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New £50 note"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Addendum:

A quicker way to check is to use a magnet (the old ones aren't magnetic).

I was wondering what the scrap price is today. I found a quote of £4.23/kg for scrap copper (after converting from dollars and lbs). And as MF's article says, 145 2p coins (£2.90 worth) provide 1kg of scrap copper.

So 145 2p coins worth £2.90 is worth £4.23 as scrap (+ zinc leftovers).

Very odd - those figures need checking - as with a return like that copper coins should have disappeared ages ago, whereas just under half of mine (4 out of 11) are pre 1992. Hmm.
    Defacing the Queens head thing????

Just registered Www.cashforcoppers.co.uk. Will pay 2.5p per 2p coin or £20 for each warrant card.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Checks coins (I happen to have a lot of the miserable suckers that wear holes in my pockets):

2p's: 2001, 2000, 2003, 1977, 1989, 1971, 2001
    1p's: 2011, 1999

So I'm sitting on a small fortune and didn't realise. Not read the article yet.
    Addendum:

A quicker way to check is to use a magnet (the old ones aren't magnetic).

I was wondering what the scrap price is today. I found a quote of £4.23/kg for scrap copper (after converting from dollars and lbs). And as MF's article says, 145 2p coins (£2.90 worth) provide 1kg of scrap copper.

So 145 2p coins worth £2.90 is worth £4.23 as scrap (+ zinc leftovers).

Very odd - those figures need checking - as with a return like that copper coins should have disappeared ages ago, whereas just under half of mine (4 out of 11) are pre 1992. Hmm.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    m.guardian.co.uk

Actually some 2ps (pre 1992) contain more copper than the value of the coin. According to a 2006 article they were worth 3p, in Feb 2011 copper was £6200 a tonne! So about 6p

Every penny counts.
    Checks coins (I happen to have a lot of the miserable suckers that wear holes in my pockets):

2p's: 2001, 2000, 2003, 1977, 1989, 1971, 2001
    1p's: 2011, 1999

So I'm sitting on a small fortune and didn't realise. Not read the article yet.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The might as well get rid of coppers now. The 2p piece is enormous and practically useless.

Interesting factette: The 20p and 50p pieces have a fixed diameter but not a fixed radius.

Curve of constant width - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    m.guardian.co.uk

Actually some 2ps (pre 1992) contain more copper than the value of the coin. According to a 2006 article they were worth 3p, in Feb 2011 copper was £6200 a tonne! So about 6p

Every penny counts.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What I find interesting that not just inventor (Watt) who gets to be on the banknote but also the person who financed him!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I have a 2p and 10p one armed bandit in my hallway. Always keeps visitors occupied.
    Do you give them a plastic cup of instant coffee if they stay more than half-an-hour?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Our coppers aren't totally useless. They still have 1¢ coins in the US which IS pointless though.

2ps are good for those games at the arcade where you try to win more 2ps.
    I have a 2p and 10p one armed bandit in my hallway. Always keeps visitors occupied.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The might as well get rid of coppers now. The 2p piece is enormous and practically useless.

Interesting factette: The 20p and 50p pieces have a fixed diameter but not a fixed radius.

Our coppers aren't totally useless. They still have 1¢ coins in the US which IS pointless though.

2ps are good for those games at the arcade where you try to win more 2ps.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Ah, you didn't get my joke then. Unless you are triple bluffing in which case I'm bluffing^4.
    Your mum ^5

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Really? That so doesn't sound like you. I've always thought of you as a decisive, politically incorrect kind of poster.
    Ah, you didn't get my joke then. Unless you are triple bluffing in which case I'm bluffing^4.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I hesitate to enquire what a gold plated crack pipe is.
    Really? That so doesn't sound like you. I've always thought of you as a decisive, politically incorrect kind of poster.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I use 'em to light the gold-plated crack pipe. Obviously only when I'm economising.
    I hesitate to enquire what a gold plated crack pipe is.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The £20 is the most common Bank of England note in circulation, with 1.55 billion notes in circulation worth £31bn.
    surely a tenner? I'm not sure where the twenty is used but I always have a few tenners in my wallet.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I use those for the heating
    I use 'em to light the gold-plated crack pipe. Obviously only when I'm economising.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X