• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Long haul flights

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Long haul flights"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    How long is long haul? If were Australia, maybe worth it. To USA, I'd just go eco and save the cash for something nicer.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Nope. The way the Swiss Franc has rocketed recently it doesn't make sense. Domestic prices haven't dropped correspondingly.

In fact it's time to hang onto your war chest

Tens of thousands of jobs are at stake, and it's only a small country.

Our office manager's missus is in furniture sales and she's down 20K on commission already this year, because everyone's buying in Germany or France.
    Time to convert the war chest, I think the SCB will force the CHF down by next week.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Real (non DP, Sas) solution would be to buy an economy ticket and upgrade with airmiles.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Pay the over-priced 5K+ business class ticket from Zurich

I thought all you Swiss based contractors were minted?
    Nope. The way the Swiss Franc has rocketed recently it doesn't make sense. Domestic prices haven't dropped correspondingly.

In fact it's time to hang onto your war chest

Tens of thousands of jobs are at stake, and it's only a small country.

Our office manager's missus is in furniture sales and she's down 20K on commission already this year, because everyone's buying in Germany or France.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    There used to be agents who sold any spare seats on flights, are they all gone now?
    You're naturally blonde, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    There used to be agents who sold any spare seats on flights, are they all gone now?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Is there someone at the other end who could book the tickets for you? Very often air fares for the same trip vary according to the country they are booked in.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Isnt that normal?

Paris to Sao Pau on BA is cheaper than LHR to Sao Pau on BA

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Currently looking at long haul flights from Zurich and as Swiss seam to control the prices, what would a contractor do?

Pay the over-priced 5K+ business class ticket from Zurich
    Go economy
    Go Business class via another country

I miss London air fares.
    The sensible option is whatever is comfortable and cheapest. That could be Business class via another country but it may not be that much cheaper.

Airlines seemed to have stopped discounting Business Class tickets as their business models showed that it wasn't worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    If I was travelling on my own I'd go economy. If I was travelling with the missus I'd go whatever class I was told to go.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    If I was travelling on my own I'd go economy. If I was travelling with the missus I'd go whatever class I was told to go.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Where to?
    I am a bit puzzled because I have been using Swiss via Zurich as a hub because they have offered the cheapest prices in the UK… Just remembered, there is a special page on the Swiss and Austrian Air website for cheap fares which is not obvious. BTW, Zurich is a crap hub with all the works going on at the moment.
    Swiss are now owned by Lufthansa, not so many good offers these days.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    A lot can happen in six months.
    What are you planning?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I'll be back
    A lot can happen in six months.