• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would you normally NOT drink?"

Collapse

• RSoles
    replied
    Another vote for Pernod here.
    In my younger days out drinking with some squaddies we'd already had a skinfull when some
    bright spark suggested 'Let's see how far along the top shelf we can get'.
    Nobody was sober enough to ask 'before what?' so we started.
    Vodkas, Whiskeys, Creme de Menthe, Pernod, Oops, exit stage right.......
    I couldn't hold anything down for three days afterwards and couldn't face anything with aniseed or five-spice for nearly another twenty years.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Alcohol!!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Lambs Navy Rum

I can still remember the smell of my puke - Oh dear God, it was woeful.
    My nan has a giant ornate bottle of Lambs Navy Rum that me and my brother drank when we were kids, replacing it with water, I still to this day giggle when I visit and see it taking pride of place on her sideboard

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I could never envisage a scenario where I would imbibe an alcopop.

I would never voluntarily order a lager in this country unless it was Mexican and came with a slice of lime in the top.

I generally drink real ale or decent red wine, will drink ale in preference to plonk. I'll only drink white wine with food and it has to be good.

I like non-sweet cocktails as an aperitif, will often order a Mojito or Caipirinha with no sugar or syrup. I make my own Margaritas with gold tequila, triple sec (never Cointreau), no sugar, pure lime juice, ice and plenty of rock salt on the rim. Very spicy Bloody Marys are another favourite.

I'll also have a pink gin and tonic pre-dinner with a ton of ice or a JD diet coke (from a bottle) if that's all there is.

Not a huge brandy\scotch fan, will occasionally have an Armagnac after dinner but like a drop of the Luxardo Nero or Sambuca when abroad. Cantucci with Vin Santo in Italy goes down a treat after dinner thanks.

After writing that lot I realise just how much I enjoy drinking. It really is one of life's pleasures.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Philistine!!!
    You have clearly never tried it in Ireland.

Seconded.

Bass's 90s revival of Worthington E, which got forced onto my local pub after a takeover.

It made me feel depressed.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Rum - Too sugary. Tastes nice, but each time I see a bottle I have this mental image of 18th century jolly jack tars with toothless grins!

Vodka - If you drink spirits, you may as well drink one that taste of something.
    Haven't touched rum since student days. Didn't like the hangovers or the overpoweringly sweet aftertaste.

That sweet aftertaste was evident in the Scottish and Newcastle beers available in one of the college bars. Never touched their Scotch Bitter since, either.

Vodka is best drunk as a Bloody Mary in my opinion. The right recipe makes a nice drink even if you leave the vodka out.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Actually it's a Fass. As far as I can tell they use the same word for both types here.
    Ah, stop firkin around.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Well, contrary to almost everyone who's mentioned it so far, I actually really like Ouzo, neat or with water, mmmmmmmm, summer days.

However while I do like aniseed, I absolutely loath cloves and one of those Belgian beers (maybe Leffe?) tastes of them.

While I'm here I may as well make one more small admission; I've never tasted Tequilla.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Rauchbier (the stuff you get in Franken,) some types taste of bacon, disgusting but I still drank enough of it! Apart from that I'll drink nearly anything although I'm not keen on red wine (except in food) or some dark spirits (except in food.) Had Absinth with Champagne the other day, believe I lost the use of my legs for a while

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Lambs Navy Rum

I can still remember the smell of my puke - Oh dear God, it was woeful.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    For years I said this was a myth, in spite of my blissful ignorance (never stopped me on other topics).

Then I had a pint of the stuff in Ireland (Enis IIRC) and WOW!!!! big difference.
    In Ireland they can get away with making it with fresh cream, however when exporting Guinness they have to use pasteurised stuff

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Anything Aniseed flavoured, I've always hated the taste.

and Carling black label.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Then it's a cask, not a keg. The contents of a keg (in modern parlance) are dispensed by top pressure.
    Actually it's a Fass. As far as I can tell they use the same word for both types here.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Southern Comfort, very unwell from that when I was about 17.

Anything Aniseed flavoured, I've always hated the taste.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    In some German places, they sit the keg on the bar and tap a brass tap into the side of it, thus it's dispensed by gravity.

Definitely not foul muck
    Then it's a cask, not a keg. The contents of a keg (in modern parlance) are dispensed by top pressure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X