• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is Money the only TRUE satisfaction from contracting?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Qwerty View Post
    Is Money the only TRUE satisfaction from contracting?
    Only if you don't really enjoy what you do, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Another benefit is being able to avoid tax ..... eerrr I mean being in complete control of your finances.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    For me yes, others embrace the challenge, enjoy meeting new people etc etc but I'd happily take a dead end job for the rest of my life as long as the money was good and it was close to home.

I just don't care enough about work, it gets in the way of all the other things I want to do.
    I can sympathise, but too dead end and I get restless.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    WZ&EOS

And being able to take long holidays (isn't that right EO) , also having the freedom to choose the work you want and when you want.
    Absolutely. Money is part of my motivation, but a much greater part is the freedom and choice.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    No. It's also about challenge and freedom from corporate bulltulip
    Freedom to increase your profits by staying in a cheap and cheerful B&B or splash out on something nicer according to working conditions or taste.

After being charged out at a fortune every day as a permie and having my expenses questioned, this was a breath of fresh air.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    it's peaceful though, and i got some good footage of the Ospreys.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Doesn't the railway carriage take you up the slope?
    No, it's static, about the same conditions as a narrow boat I guess. Midgies -, I've been bitten a dozen times already, and it's midgie alert status 1. hey ho
    it's peaceful though, and i got some good footage of the Ospreys. Tomorrow we are going to look for otters

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I do not find this to be the case. My income is considerably higher than when I was head of development at a very large multinational in the early years of 200n. With the added bonus of no politics, more holiday and more flexible working. Back in the late 90s, I was often taking more home than directors.
    And you get to do pantomime (is that the same as being a moderator??? )

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I do not find this to be the case. My income is considerably higher than when I was head of development at a very large multinational in the early years of 200n. With the added bonus of no politics, more holiday and more flexible working. Back in the late 90s, I was often taking more home than directors.
    Also you get to be a mod at CUK. That's bound to be priceless?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Sad if it is, because in contracting you'll never make as much money as people who are reasonably good at a reasonably established profession, or reasonably senior in a reasonably large company.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    My main reason to be able to have prolongued chunks of time off in between contracts at home with the family (3 months last contract, 6 weeks contract before [planned]).

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Qwerty View Post
    Is Money the only TRUE satisfaction from contracting?
    No. Travel with the job get to live in different countries.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    For me yes, others embrace the challenge, enjoy meeting new people etc etc but I'd happily take a dead end job for the rest of my life as long as the money was good and it was close to home.

I just don't care enough about work, it gets in the way of all the other things I want to do.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I am sitting in the railway carriage on the banks of loch awe, watching the ospreys fish. There are at least three, working together mrs EO thinks. Got to go up to the pub now, its a 3000 foot ascent and the sherpas are waiting. (well it looks like a hike anyway)

Er, isn't it a bit late in the day (literally) to hike 3000 feet up a mountain? It'll be pitch dark by the time you get there.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

I am sitting in the railway carriage on the banks of loch awe, watching the ospreys fish. There are at least three, working together mrs EO thinks. Got to go up to the pub now, its a 3000 foot ascent and the sherpas are waiting. (well it looks like a hike anyway)

Sounds awe inspiring. I bet no one has ever made that pun there before

Doesn't the railway carriage take you up the slope?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X