• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A quick question for all you mechanical engineers out there."

Collapse

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    There's Ken Clarke and... no, can't think of any more?
    .....but Ken is a *big beast" from that era!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
    Patriotism, principals, passion, belief - none of them even comprehend the concepts.
    OK possibly a bit unfair - I am sure there are some politicians that do still have honour etc but there are a lot of snouts in troughs!

In the good old days you knew most politicians believed in what they said - You might not agree with them but thats a different issue. Labour, Tory and even Libs seemed to actually mean what they said.

Possibly a touch of rose tinted specs for the good old days, but not totally.
    There's Ken Clarke and... no, can't think of any more?

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Yep, Hezzer quit because the old witch wanted to flog us off to the yanks.

I can't image any politician being so patriotic these days, they'd sell us all off to bob to keep global corps happy.
    Patriotism, principals, passion, belief - none of them even comprehend the concepts.
    OK possibly a bit unfair - I am sure there are some politicians that do still have honour etc but there are a lot of snouts in troughs!

In the good old days you knew most politicians believed in what they said - You might not agree with them but thats a different issue. Labour, Tory and even Libs seemed to actually mean what they said.

Possibly a touch of rose tinted specs for the good old days, but not totally.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I remember them - Wasn't there a tincy, wincy little <ahem> thing with a certain Mr Heseltine?
    Yep, Hezzer quit because the old witch wanted to flog us off to the yanks.

I can't image any politician being so patriotic these days, they'd sell us all off to bob to keep global corps happy.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Lynx, Puma, Gazelle, Merlin/EH101

Westland Helicopters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good old days.
    I remember them - Wasn't there a tincy, wincy little <ahem> thing with a certain Mr Heseltine?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Origami??
    Lynx, Puma, Gazelle, Merlin/EH101

Westland Helicopters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good old days.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    I used to make helicopter from drawings.
    Origami??

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    The word you are looking for is "deviation"
    WHS^

On engineering drawings you have RFD's (requests for deviation). The manufacturer or customer will submit a case for the change and the authority that approves this will sign the change and this will be noted on a table of RFD's with a new version number.

I used to make helicopters from drawings.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    The word you are looking for is "deviation"

Leave a comment:

• zharrt
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You'ed think that wouldn't you? Sadly, I've just had to explain that very point to a Change Manager.

Their comment: ".... it will be a deviation from ITIL V3 guidelines"
    Let me guess, this was someone who has been in the organisation for years and be given the title change manager because they used to do something similar before the Org introduced ITIL?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Thanks chaps (and you too zharrt )

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by zharrt View Post
    As ITIL is only a framework rather than hard and fast rules, isn't some deviation expected?
    You'ed think that wouldn't you? Sadly, I've just had to explain that very point to a Change Manager.

Their comment: ".... it will be a deviation from ITIL V3 guidelines"

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    In aero engineering it's called a Process Deviation.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Buzz. Repetition of "Process". Is it my turn now?

On a serious note I know what Cojak is after, but don't know the official phrase. The building industry also has a specific phrase here (which is how they bill for changes to the original spec and actually make a profit on a contract won on a cut throat bid).
    Buzz. Repetition of "phrase"

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    In your Workbooks (I think) you put a note in your designs when something deviates from best practice/standard/whatever. The note states what you changed, why you changed it and the risk assessment.

Is that note called a deviation note or notice?

I have to do something similar for an ITIL process and I'd like to use the correct term.
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Buzz. Repetition of "Process". Is it my turn now?

On a serious note I know what Cojak is after, but don't know the official phrase. The building industry also has a specific phrase here (which is how they bill for changes to the original spec and actually make a profit on a contract won on a cut throat bid).
    In contract terms it's a Variance.

Client wants a change that is out scope of the contract or spec so agree a cost with the supplier (usually extortionate) and it gets added to the contract as a Variance on the original contract.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X