• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "OS X Lion - £20.99"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I'm ashamed to say I didn't know that one, I'll try to remember it, thanks

I've been mystified for years why people who have window capable apps run all of them in full screen, they then find my habit of windowing equally strange. Typically I'm referring to or copy pasting info in the other windows while producing the doc in the main one.
    I often run windows side by side or have several open at once. My favourite it to have 5 or 6 terminal windows open on an extra screen tailing a bunch of files on some servers, so that it looks like I'm actually doing something.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I like Win+Tab, think only only on Vista/W7 though.
    I'm ashamed to say I didn't know that one, I'll try to remember it, thanks

I've been mystified for years why people who have window capable apps run all of them in full screen, they then find my habit of windowing equally strange. Typically I'm referring to or copy pasting info in the other windows while producing the doc in the main one.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Where's the pron?
    If you look carefully you'll see 4 bar icons at middle bottom, imaginatively labelled "One, Two, Three, Four".

These are the predecessors to Apple's Spaces. Pron sat on another desktop.

Oh, and on a colleague's disk, which we could all see

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Where's the pron?
    For some unix geeks, that is p0rn.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Where's the pron?

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I think I stopped using maximised windows back in the Win95 era. I stuffed my laptop with 12 MB RAM and got ised to running more than one app at a time. My next system was an NT box with a 17" screen and I certainly was multitasking with one than one window visible by then.

And shortly after that I was running X11 windows on a huge DEC screen, the one whose packaging recommended that 2 people lift the thing. I never ever maximised anything on that. Of course even back in the 1990s I was using the Common Desktop Environment (CDE, aka New Desktop), and you can see from the following screenshot why you didn't need anything maximised:

In fact when folks first started raving about tabbed browsers I couldn't see what the fuss was about, because I was used to running multiple browser windows all along.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Netraider View Post
    He was right about OS X upgrades bringing better performance.

He only went back to Tiger (10.4), but I started with 10.1 and every upgrade since then has brought improved performance on the same machine over the previous version.
    Last edited by Sysman; 8 June 2011, 14:56. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I like Win+Tab, think only only on Vista/W7 though.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Personally I stopped using full-screen on Windows as well once monitors got beyond 1024*768 - a window beyond that size is usually too big to use comfortably for applications like text editing or web browsing. Obviously there are exceptions like Eclipse or Visual Studio, but their UI is a number of windows within one window anyway, so the main window is more like a replacement desktop. I'm on Windows at ClientCorp at the moment, and not one of the dozen or so apps I have open has a maximised window.
    I think I stopped using maximised windows back in the Win95 era. I stuffed my laptop with 12 MB RAM and got ised to running more than one app at a time. My next system was an NT box with a 17" screen and I certainly was multitasking with one than one window visible by then.

And shortly after that I was running X11 windows on a huge DEC screen, the one whose packaging recommended that 2 people lift the thing. I never ever maximised anything on that. Of course even back in the 1990s I was using the Common Desktop Environment (CDE, aka New Desktop), and you can see from the following screenshot why you didn't need anything maximised:

In fact when folks first started raving about tabbed browsers I couldn't see what the fuss was about, because I was used to running multiple browser windows all along.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    press alt, tap the tab button and then hold the alt button
    in windows 7 that keeps a grid of the current applications open, its not difficult

And there are applications which will give the same functionality as Expose
    XP does that as well, or do you mean that 7 labels the apps or document icons so you can see what they are?

Expose has been part of MacOS since 2003. No need for anything else.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    FYI, Mac users also call it "Alt+Tab" and always have, although the UI looks nicer than it does on Windows. The new stuff does - wait for it - new stuff, while old stuff like Alt+Tab continues to do what it always did.
    I must have watched a different video, the one I saw seemed to place a lot of emphasis on new ways to do old stuff, which led to me thinking that these things already have keyboard shortcuts or dedicated keys. I'm of the opinion that not having to move ones hands from the keyboard is a good thing, so I don't really see the appeal.

The only thing in it that I thought looked interesting was the "versions" thing.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Technically it's Cmd-Tab but the point stands.

Expose is my favorite widget. One mouse click, or drag the pointer to a corner of the scren and it instantly tiles every window I have open so I can easily find the one I want. Click on it and it becomes the active window. Far easier than trying to alt-tab through a list of open applications to find the one you want or hunting for it on a crowded taskbar or dock.
    press alt, tap the tab button and then hold the alt button
    in windows 7 that keeps a grid of the current applications open, its not difficult

And there are applications which will give the same functionality as Expose

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    What did it do before then?
    It made a window as large as it needed to be to display all its contents, but it didn't necessarily force the window frames to the edges of the screen and make the window immovable, the way Windows full-screen windows are. (Of course it did make the window occupy the whole area of the screen if it made sense to do so - e.g. for things like spreadsheet apps, where the work area is much larger than the screen.)

Personally I stopped using full-screen on Windows as well once monitors got beyond 1024*768 - a window beyond that size is usually too big to use comfortably for applications like text editing or web browsing. Obviously there are exceptions like Eclipse or Visual Studio, but their UI is a number of windows within one window anyway, so the main window is more like a replacement desktop. I'm on Windows at ClientCorp at the moment, and not one of the dozen or so apps I have open has a maximised window.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    FYI, Mac users also call it "Alt+Tab" and always have, although the UI looks nicer than it does on Windows. The new stuff does - wait for it - new stuff, while old stuff like Alt+Tab continues to do what it always did.
    Technically it's Cmd-Tab but the point stands.

Expose is my favorite widget. One mouse click, or drag the pointer to a corner of the scren and it instantly tiles every window I have open so I can easily find the one I want. Click on it and it becomes the active window. Far easier than trying to alt-tab through a list of open applications to find the one you want or hunting for it on a crowded taskbar or dock.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    They seem to have invented some sort of crazy finger dancing code to do what windows users call "Alt+Tab". Apparently this is better because it's different and the new is to be worshiped unquestioningly.
    If you mean gestures, I've got that on my Windows laptop already

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    They seem to have invented some sort of crazy finger dancing code to do what windows users call "Alt+Tab". Apparently this is better because it's different and the new is to be worshiped unquestioningly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X