• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IT Bugbears

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IT Bugbears"

Collapse

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Web sites that make assumptions about your situation. Those that choose a language based on your IP address or time zone are examples. Others include flight booking sites that bill you in the currency of your departure point, even if it is a British airline and your card is British and in pounds.

Some get it wrong even when they offer you a choice. "Enter country", it asks: I live in the UK but I'm currently in Germany trying to book a train in France with a Dutch bank card. Which country would you like?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    "Keyhole surgery" file selection windows no larger than a postage stamp. Why are they always so damned small?!
    Grr.

File selection windows that "forget" a previously chosen path, painstakingly selected only a minute earlier, and always start in "My Documents"
    Ayup. Especially when you are trying to save a series of related files in their own directory.

This is an area that OS X gets right, at least once you'd saved a file elsewhere, and it will remember the last directory you used the next time you start the app. Full marks to Apple here. But:

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Modal dialog boxes requiring input. Meaning you can't go to another window to copy stuff to clipboard, or even move other windows around in order to see stuff on them, without closing it first.
    OS X can be worse here. Instead of modal windows (which at least you can shift out of the way) it has what are known as dialogue "sheets". These drop down from bottom of the top bar in an app, obscuring the document itself, and there's no way to shift 'em. If you do a Save As, and need to refer back to the document to think up a file name which reflects the contents accurately, then you have to cancel the dialogue.

The Print dialogue can be worse still, since it's so wide.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    The undo functionality in Visio - in fact, Visio in general.
    As with SSIS there is a dark art to Visio.

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    The way the SQL Server 2008 Management Studio intellisense operates differently to Visual Studio's.
    It is irritating, the number of times I've typed out "case when col is null" only to have it changed to "case when col ISDATE null"
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 16 May 2011, 22:08.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    The undo functionality in Visio - in fact, Visio in general.

The way the SQL Server 2008 Management Studio intellisense operates differently to Visual Studio's.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Women in IT who try too hard to be one of the boys.

You know who you are and it's embarrassing.
    Not to mention the men who try too hard to be one of the boys. You know who you are, and it doesn't suit you.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Why can't anal language and interface designers realise that informative, categoric error messages for humans are far more important in time saving and reliability than their obsessive desire for technical purity, consistency and other such abstract nonsense?
    Bring back the Guru Meditation messages

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    [*]American Dates: They always bite my ass at some point in a project no matter how culture neutral I make my code.
    I assume you've never dated an American, let alone been bitten in the ass by one. If you did, you'd have bigger and more interesting problems to rant about than "whether to put the 16 before the 05 or vice-versa".

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    specifications that gallop away to the horizons
    data profiling that gives you a pass but fails when you go to dev.

users 'just change this'.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I shall start calling this behaviour "Suity software".
    Fixed the obvious.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Women in IT who try too hard to be one of the boys.

You know who you are and it's embarrassing.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    "Keyhole surgery" file selection windows no larger than a postage stamp. Why are they always so damned small?!

File selection windows that "forget" a previously chosen path, painstakingly selected only a minute earlier, and always start in "My Documents"
    the fact that most apps force you to use the numpty folder view meaning you always always always have to set to detailed view and then sort by data or name whatever - if it remembered the view you use for windows all you'd have to do is click the column you want to order by but NO they force you to use the thumbnail view (which is useless when not looking for pics)

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Its a problem in the latest version. Right click a file and select send via email. Then try and look for something in another previous email. I'm not sure what the cause is but its tuliply annoying.
    Heh - I've never tried that, I just drag the file onto an open email.

Looks like outlook 2007 does the same thing, how bizarre. Probably a bug which keeps being passed between the outlook and windows development teams

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Talking about mouse focus, that's one good thing about traditional Unix X-Windows, focus follows mouse irrespective of window layer, I love that...

I fact, on every contract I insist on a proper Unix workstation, and I never get one, Windows with Putty is all I get...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Have you tried upgrading from Outlook V1?

In the 12 or more years I've been using Outlook I have never experienced that problem!
    Its a problem in the latest version. Right click a file and select send via email. Then try and look for something in another previous email. I'm not sure what the cause is but its tuliply annoying.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Having keyboard focus stolen while I am typing, usually by something I started 5 mins ago that has taken that long to get going.

the one thing likely to send me into a rage! joined a new clientco which used an instant messenger - what an obnoxious app that was, popped up and stole your screen focus as default, very quickly set it so it never stole my focus....

anything that interrupts what you are doing is just obnoxious programming IMO.

other gripes:

splash screens that cant be moved or minimized and so take up screen space whilst the app is loading (app makers i'm able to do other things whilst your app slowly loads so get rid of that screen!)

Formatting in word

the copy and paste in a certain program which forces you to actually hold down ctrl+v, simply pressing ctrl+v doesn't work but gets me everytime

MS Project
    Lotus Notes

oh so many now I think of it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X