• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "if you had a time machine.."

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    How about a story about how a women who has wanted
    her partner to propose for years, but after another 10 years of waiting and with only some kind of GPS indicator she was given 10 years earlier, sets off
    on a trek across Europe where she meets the man of her dreams. He helps her track down the box to a small island where they dig it up. Excited she's digs down, inside is a big ring, she looks at the man who has helped her find the ring, forgetting her partner at home who has made her wait
    for so long, she falls excited into her new mans arms, he grabs the ring and proposes to her, she excepts and they run off to get married, her story is picked up by the worlds media and her and new husband become worldwide media stars. She forgets about her old man.

He watches her on TV one day, remembers the call when she phoned him and then thinks 'if only I had a
    fecking time machine I could go back and
    propose like any normal person' :

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Many years ago I remember enjoying Michael Moorcock's story Behold the Man, wherein a scientist travels back to Judaea c. 28AD in the hope of meeting Jesus of Nazareth.

His time machine is irreparably damaged on landing, and as he can only speak the language (Aramaic) in a stilted way and with an unrecognisable accent, he is regarded as a madman by most. However, a carpenter and his prostitute "wife" give him shelter and look after him for a while; in fact, they treat him almost as a son.

With his comparatively advanced scientific knowledge he is able to do things that seem like marvels, including healing a few people of trivial illnesses that were big problems at the time, and reviving a chap who has fallen into a coma and has been taken for dead.

Then he gets accidentally caught up in the political turmoil of the day, and the Romans make an example of him: he is crucified.

And round we go again...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Xoggy has a cool time machine story on his website. Worth a read.

For personal profit probably what Highlander did bury a stash of Antiques somewhere no one would find it, maybe lots of places just in case. Probably a few books from the library of Alexander, some Claymore / Samauri swords, a few of Da Vinci's unknown paintings etc. Nothing that would upset the time stream too much.

Buy a few Microsoft/Google shares on first issue.

If it was just to satisfy curiosity I would like to be there when Moses received the tablets or parted the red sea.

Or if going for broke then spread a little information about the most unpleasant people in history and try to reduce their effects but that might have an equal & opposite reaction.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    The homework is:

"If I was (insert well known figure past or present) then I would.."

Being geeky and because ive just seen it in the dvd shop i decided upon Marty McFly..
    You do realise he wasn't real? The way the question is phrased sounds like they're thinking of an actual person, not a fictional character. (Although of course it could have lost something in translation...)

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Die Freundschwestersalamiverbergenspiel is popular with Germans of all ages.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Die Freundschwestersalamiverbergenspiel is popular with Germans of all ages.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I think it rather depends on how old the 'little' sister was....
    The age of the teacher sets an upper bound, which might make this information unnecessary.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It rather depends how old your teacher is, you could get in trouble.
    I think it rather depends on how old the 'little' sister was....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It rather depends how old your teacher is, you could get in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I would go back to 1979 and shag my mate's little sister.
    thanks for that although I can't imagine that's the sort of answer my language teacher is looking for in this particular homework exercise

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I would go back to 1979 and shag my mate's little sister.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    What would you do?

A shameless plee in helping me complete my deutsch homework..
    Sink the Empire Windrush

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    As opposed to buying crappy flatpack Swedish furniture.

There's more than one way to conquer a country
    True, but sacking Monestaries is more fun than looking at morons buying wares.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    I would go back to approx year 900 and not make the mistakes by Viking ancestors made.

You would all speak Danish by now.
    As opposed to buying crappy flatpack Swedish furniture.

There's more than one way to conquer a country

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    I would go back to approx year 900 and not make the mistakes by Viking ancestors made.

You would all speak Danish by now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X