• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "One man went to mow....."

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    They sell wildflower meadow seeds at homebase...
    The thought had crossed my mind

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Rhodedendrons love peat, they live for the stuff. Just chuck in a bag or two under the plant and it should work out.
    Well fingers crossed. Will water with soft water. Can easily be obtained by melting ice from the deep freeze.

Just noticed my snakes head fritillaries are out in flower. Only planted them last year so well chuffed. Wonderful display.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Y

Need to be careful with fertilizer in this hot spell. Can burn the foliage. Make sure you water it in well after the sun has gone down.
    Has not been a hot spell in Glasgow since mainland UK drifted off the African coast.

Think I overdone the fertilisation of the front green last year but the lawn was crap anyway and was giving it a try, with 4 lime trees above the grass which was probably laid 100 years ago the top of the turf is just solid leaf deposit and no new growth can break through. Scarified and fertilised last year with no improvement and will be taken up in the next week for new turf.

Rhodedendrons love peat, they live for the stuff. Just chuck in a bag or two under the plant and it should work out.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I've given up on my lawn, the ants have taken oven and after 3 years of trying everything (bar digging it all up and re turfing) I have thrown in in the trowel (excuse the pun).
    They sell wildflower meadow seeds at homebase...

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Got a nice rhodedendron from local garden centre.

They are lime haters.

I live in a limey area.

Will keep it in pot with ericaceous compost .

Think its ok to water with tap eater?

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I hate mowing the lawn (& I have only had a lawn for 11 months) ultimately I plan to pave the lot: or maybe astro turf, it has gotten a lot better in recent years

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I've given up on my lawn, the ants have taken oven and after 3 years of trying everything (bar digging it all up and re turfing) I have thrown in in the trowel (excuse the pun).

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Y
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I have been leaving it out for the tits (honestly) nesting. I'll stick it in the brown bin tomorrow and dump some fertiliser on the grass.
    Need to be careful with fertilizer in this hot spell. Can burn the foliage. Make sure you water it in well after the sun has gone down.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Tried composting my rakings last year. Moss does not break down at all well.
    I have been leaving it out for the tits (honestly) nesting. I'll stick it in the brown bin tomorrow and dump some fertiliser on the grass.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    This criticism is most unfair as there are very few things in life that are more fascinating than the composting of moss. Only the other day I began a unique scientific experiment to determine which composted fastest:

a) Moss
    b) Used bog paper
    c) Memories of the 2009 August episode of Big Brother
    d) Interest in the referendum on AV voting .

Watch this space.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I mowed my lawn today. Tedious. Then tried to strim the edges and got pissed off with the string spooly thing that kept falling off and hurled the strimmer at a concrete wall. Serves it right. Things can annoy me for 5 minutes then they are toast. Why do we not equip toddlers with nuclear weapons? World problems would be sorted much quicker.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Trust me, a couple of hours in your company being regaled with your 'fascinating' tales and it'll be sobbing its heart out.

Fair (and funny)

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Tried composting my rakings last year. Moss does not break down at all well.
    You tried composting

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Trust me, a couple of hours in your company being regaled with your 'fascinating' tales and it'll be sobbing its heart out.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Moss does not break down at all well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X