• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Be careful what you tweet"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Don't copyright laws apply here?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Journalists get lots of their news nowadays by social networking sites.

In fact with social media and blogs the power of newspapers, tv and other sources of official media have diminished. (Which is a good thing )

Look at what steps they took in Egypt to stop people using the internet and tweeting by text to communicate about the demonstrations. Unfortunately for that government Google and Twitter worked out a way around it.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Yeah, that was funny. Doesn't get the point. Though, could twitter itself restrict the publication by means of T&Cs?
    Alternatively people could refrain from posting their every trivial feeling and thought on these pathetic "social networking" sites and if they want to communicate something which might be embarrassing to a friend or two use private communications.

Frankly people who post their every thought and feeling deserve what they get, they're just attention seeking sad muppets.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Quite, like Freddie Flintoff and Darren Gough tweeting they were off to a gay bar

Like no one would notice that

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Yeah, that was funny. Doesn't get the point. Though, could twitter itself restrict the publication by means of T&Cs?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I pity the poor journalists who trolled through that turgid crap.
    And how's about the 1884 people subscribing to it? Are they all pissed too?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I pity the poor journalists who trolled through that turgid crap. ( Well, not really, given the crap they usually produce )
    I don't - turgid crap's too good for 'em!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    If she wanted to restrict the visibility of her tweets to people she approved, she could have done so. It's a perfectly obvious option both when you sign up and when you look at your account settings. She made everything publicly visible, so she can hardly complain if it's made public

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I would have thought that's pretty straightforward. Twitter's public anyway, unless you do the "lock" thingy.

...and anyone who can type Sarah Baskerville (Baskers) on Twitter into an address bar of course.
    Pillow talk, really
    I pity the poor journalists who trolled through that turgid crap. ( Well, not really, given the crap they usually produce )

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Why is this surprising? It's what it's designed for, isn't it?

You (well not you obviously) decide to publish a comment on a site designed for people to read these comments and re-publish with your name attached and complain when people read/quote you.

Seems the whole point of it to me.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I would have thought that's pretty straightforward. Twitter's public anyway, unless you do the "lock" thingy.
    She complained that this information was private and was only meant to be seen by her 700 followers.
    ...and anyone who can type http://twitter.com/Baskers into an address bar of course.
    Pillow talk, really

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    It also agreed with the newspapers' argument that Twitter was publicly accessible and that the complainant had not taken steps to restrict access to her messages and was not publishing material anonymously.

As a result, the Commission ruled that the articles did not constitute a breach of privacy.
    Seems a perfectly reasonable view.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    She complained that this information was private and was only meant to be seen by her 700 followers.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    started a topic Be careful what you tweet

Be careful what you tweet

BBC News - 'Twitter messages not private' rules PCC

Material that is published on Twitter should be considered public and can be published, the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) has ruled.

Working...
X