• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hotel near Tower Bridge"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    a)If you can't spot fake reviews you're not doing it right
    b)If we assume that fake reviews are a systematic source of error (i.e. all hotels have them) then you'd for instance remove one star from all ratings and still expect the same hotels to be on top. No doubt SasGuru can fill in the mathematical rigour ()

You have to read some reviews, not just look at the rating though... we'd do a search and then read the ones that look good, it's fairly clear when a review is NOT fake.

Leave a comment:

• Normie
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Something does not compute there.
    Took me a few minutes to realise what you were getting at - yep, you're right, should have said 16th/17th February not November! My head must have still been spinning from my client actually offerring to send me on a training course. To top it off, now they've asked if I can go on another one the following Monday and Tuesday (same location).

Not bad for a direct contract - wasn't expecting to be trained

Thanks for all the recommendations - I'll look into the suggestions. I dont trust TripAdvisor, et al, one jot - my brother-in-law runs a B&B so I know exactly how genuine most of his glowing 5 start reviews are

Normie

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I review in laterooms.com and look in tripadvisor as well, but it's always a good idea to ask around, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'd trust TripAdvisor over one person on CUK, if the place has a large number of reviews. Been fairly reliable for us.

I think it's Michael McIntyre does a joke on TripAdvisor... you see an average rating of 4/5 with page of glowing reviews, but you have to scan through until you find a review "there was a poo in my bed".

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The thing I find amusing about TripAdvisor is that a place can have page after page of good reviews, but there is always at least one person ranting that it was the worst place they've ever been
    Ditto for the ActiveHotels site. Their reviews are convincingly real, especially since they can only be written by the person who made the booking.

Do you find it is usually an USAian couple doing the complaining? Presumably not enough bedbugs or cockroaches as they as accustomed to.

Sorry, I've gone

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If only someone had thought of setting up websites where people could write comments on places they stayed.

Search results: tower bridge - TripAdvisor
    Being cynical it's very easy to stack lots of positive comments on sites like those, I don't pay a lot of credence to them.

Much of the CUK congregation has similar requirements so I'd take a recommendation off here more seriously.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Normie View Post
    Hi,

My client has just asked me if I could go on a course in London next week - would need a stay over on Weds 16th and Thurs 17th November. The course is being held "near Tower Bridge" - no exact details yet. Can anyone recommend a hotel nearby? Client rules probably mean that I shouldn't go over about £140 a night.

Cheers,
    Normie
    Something does not compute there.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If only someone had thought of setting up websites where people could write comments on places they stayed.

The thing I find amusing about TripAdvisor is that a place can have page after page of good reviews, but there is always at least one person ranting that it was the worst place they've ever been

I've stayed at the Guoman a couple of times. The first time I had a spectacular view of Tower Bridge and the room was awesome, but it cost quite a bit. The second time, I paid the same but was stuck in a small room that appeared not to have been redecorated since 1975 and offered a pretty poor view of the river. I haven't been back as, on reflection, I concluded that it wasn't worth the money.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Normie is looking for recommendations as in "stayed there it was good" not a Google moment. Some Premier Inn hotels are total toilets.

Leave a comment:

• cybersquatter
    replied
    I recently stayed in the Guoman next to St Katharine's Dock, which is acceptable if unspectacular. Lots of nice bars and restaurants nearby though, and posh yachts to gawp at. And a Waitrose 5 mins walk away.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    There's also the Novel, which is good, right by tower hill station.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Think Tower Bridge , London | LateRooms.com

Excellent place. Been there a couple of weeks ago.

But take a taxi from Tower Hill tube to the hotel apartments as it's along a quiet road and I was a bit spooked walking there. (Although this is probably less of an issue if you're a bloke...)
    I think that's where we stayed for a CUK "do" once.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Think Tower Bridge , London | LateRooms.com

Excellent place. Been there a couple of weeks ago.

But take a taxi from Tower Hill tube to the hotel apartments as it's along a quiet road and I was a bit spooked walking there. (Although this is probably less of an issue if you're a bloke...)

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Normie View Post
    Hi,

My client has just asked me if I could go on a course in London next week - would need a stay over on Weds 16th and Thurs 17th November. The course is being held "near Tower Bridge" - no exact details yet. Can anyone recommend a hotel nearby? Client rules probably mean that I shouldn't go over about £140 a night.

Cheers,
    Normie

Stayed here last year for 2 nights.

Central London Hotels, Apex City Hotel in London

Was £150 a night for a weekend stay, midweek may be cheaper.

Large, comfortable, airy, modern room. Nice bar, good breakfast. 2 mins walk from Tower Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Normie is looking for recommendations as in "stayed there it was good" not a Google moment. Some Premier Inn hotels are total toilets.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X