• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Birmingham: The best place to be a muslim"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Not sure where that optimism comes from SAS. I have seen almost identical comments about Tamils but look at the reality. Nepal is the 11th poorest country in the world despite huge quantities of foreign aid which have sunk without trace.

Where migrants have potential you can usually see that potential at work in their own societies. The Chinese and Indians reflect the dynamism of their own societies. The more successful Africans tend to come from places like Ghana or Nigeria rather than Somalia or the Congo.
    OK maybe not the Nepalese then, but the experience of the Vietnamese boat people who settled in America in the 70s has been generally positive. And the Vietnamese economy is now growing at a good lick after communist nonsense.

I agree with your the the dynamism of immigrants reflects that of their own societies and perhaps immigration policy ought to reflect this. Not only will these groups contribute in their own right but as their home societies get richer the interplay they have with these societies will enrich ours commercially.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Not sure where that optimism comes from SAS. I have seen almost identical comments about Tamils but look at the reality. Nepal is the 11th poorest country in the world despite huge quantities of foreign aid which have sunk without trace.

Where migrants have potential you can usually see that potential at work in their own societies. The Chinese and Indians reflect the dynamism of their own societies. The more successful Africans tend to come from places like Ghana or Nigeria rather than Somalia or the Congo.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I didn't call you a Nazi. I am, however, dismayed that as a Jew, you miss such a blinding lesson from history. I remember a chat some years ago with a member of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, who was very clear that the Muslim community was to be defended against morons like you (I paraphrase) not just as a matter of principle but because Jews would be next in line. Just look at the shift of the BNP's attack from Jews to Muslims to seize the Zeitgeist.
    The BNP are after the lizard

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    The recent big increases in illegals are those from Vietnam and Nepal I believe.
    They'll eventually be an asset. Their children will become doctors and lawyers.
    On the hand if you see a big influx of Somalis or Afghans, for example, then move out sharpish.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    The recent big increases in illegals are those from Vietnam and Nepal I believe.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    While the influx of Chinese in the middle of the 20th century may have been from the prosperous and intelligent what is coming now tends to be from the wrong end of the dining table.

Your average Chinese immigrant these days has probably paid to get in illegal, has no qualifications and will end up working as, pretty much, slave labour. A million miles away from the "Child, I want those fingers to bleed on that Stradivarius tonight or else you don't eat for 2 days" Hong Kong business set.
    Well I have yet to see much evidence of mass illegal Chinese immigration into the UK.
    And I think you're wrong anyway, that slave labour immigrant's children or grandchildren will "bleed on the Stradivarius" as the family pull themselves up by their bootstraps - the English plebian class are the only one in the world, as far as I can see, to encourage their children to remain ignorant, stupid and poor ( a trait which some in the black and Muslim community are now following).

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Define 3rd world. India and China were so defined in the 60s and 70s but I'm not sure they can be defined as such now.
    And I see long-term advantages in having large populations from both countries here in the UK as those countries (parts of them anyway) become rich.

Hindus and Chinese people seem to integrate well anyway, so I'm not sure of Xog's tribal point.
    It does seem to me (having lived in a Muslim area, Tower Hamlets) to be a religious problem in that the insularity and the assumed superiority complex of Islamic young men (that deep down is an inferiority complex) is to blame.
    While the influx of Chinese in the middle of the 20th century may have been from the prosperous and intelligent what is coming now tends to be from the wrong end of the dining table.

Your average Chinese immigrant these days has probably paid to get in illegal, has no qualifications and will end up working as, pretty much, slave labour. A million miles away from the "Child, I want those fingers to bleed on that Stradivarius tonight or else you don't eat for 2 days" Hong Kong business set.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    what about Norfolk?
    Allegedly it is, but I've not been there since the 70's so I wouldn't be sure

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    what about Norfolk?
    There, you marry your chicken. Hence the webbed feet.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    It's common practice in parts of Cornwall as well
    what about Norfolk?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Generally in Cornwall marrying your 1st cousin is only ever acceptable to a family where they don't have both a son and a daughter.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Do Hindus make a habit of marrying their first cousins?

I bet they don't.

Which might go a long way in explanation.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Indeed not, unless you persist for n generations just to make sure of a wide range of recessive genes getting their day in the sun.
    Yeah, but its all the will of Allah in the end innit? I know of a couple who are first cousins, the man's side has had 3 generations of 1st cousins marrying. The couple wonder why each of their newborn has died within weeks. I would blurt it out, but I'd touch a culture nerve now wouldn't I?

I think Hindus are prevented from doing the same for 5 generations.

All I know is that in Pakistani culture its rare to marry cross-caste. and in Mirpur its even rarer NOT to marry your first-cousin.

Indians perform better because many have come from Africa and thus were integrated there for a couple of generations. They are accustomed to making a new country home very quickly.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    13 times the rate of stillbirths and genetic defects compared to the population in general is not a persuasive argument for the practice.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Newsnight | The risks of cousin marriage

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I can't help but see evidence for principle 3b of my simple theory of mankind at work here. If the negative perceptions of any group rises, that of other groups will fall as most have no capacity for seeing too many enemies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X