• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Work dress code

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Work dress code"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Jeans and a T shirt, holes optional, occasional stubble, and I need a haircut more often than not.

Often they ask me to work from home.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Try the UBS dress code. 43 pages of it.

Discussing with a bunch of Germans their sense of humour, I pointed out that of course they do have one. It's just that it involves invading Poland. For a joke.
    The rules above — and the 40 other pages of them — were initially designed to help temporary employees who might not have worked in a high powered banking environment before coming to UBS look professional.
    That'll be the high powered banking environment that lost billions on the subprime crisis and got into major trouble with the US.

All 43 pages can be found as a PDF here (in French)

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Try the UBS dress code. 43 pages of it.

Discussing with a bunch of Germans their sense of humour, I pointed out that of course they do have one. It's just that it involves invading Poland. For a joke.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Not at places where I have worked, guys going for a dump and not washing their hands then making tea or fingering the donuts.
    There's a Bob at my clientco who's effing disgusting. When I'm in the crapper I sometimes hear him at the sink hocking up some massive greenie which he spits into the bloody sink. One of these days I'm going to burst out of the cubicle and have a go at him. Which will be quite some sight, I grant you.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Not at places where I have worked, guys going for a dump and not washing their hands then making tea or fingering the donuts.
    Now you mention it

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I did a couple of days last year at a site where they had anti-bacterial gel dispensers at each end of every floor, plus posters telling you why you should use them. It seemed over the top to me.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Some sites in the UK too.

I had to have an H&S gonk show me the correct way to walk up the stairs when I got caught not doing that at one client.

I didn't impress when I pointed out once he'd got up the stairs that he'd forgotten to clean his hands with anti-bacterial gel because of all the germs that can be found on handrails.
    I did a couple of days last year at a site where they had anti-bacterial gel dispensers at each end of every floor, plus posters telling you why you should use them. It seemed over the top to me.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Lola View Post
    I suppose that if one is lactating it might produce a Cappuccino effect.
    If they’re particularly large breasts it might be a latte macchiato.

Leave a comment:

• Lola
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    And what does that say about someone who likes to put his mouth in between two of them and blow, producing a loud farting noise?
    I suppose that if one is lactating it might produce a Cappuccino effect.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Lola View Post
    It is ridiculous that breasts are considered sexual. The function of breasts are for the feeding of babies; nothing more. Anyone he takes advantage of a woman’s smooth soft breasts and incite her nipples to be erect while her bosoms palpitate are abusing nature.
    And what does that say about someone who likes to put his mouth in between two of them and blow, producing a loud farting noise?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    In some sites in Germany, not touching the handrail when on the stairs incurs an H&S infraction.
    Ditto for a UK registered, private sector, previous ClientCo in the East of England.

Halfway up the stairs, carrying some stuff, someone coming down told me I was on the wrong side of the stairs and made me switch to the other side, while they were stood on the mezzanine floor. ******. I was too surprised to tell him to piss off and grow up.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    WTSS

In some sites in Germany, not touching the handrail when on the stairs incurrs an HSSE infraction.
    Some sites in the UK too.

I had to have an H&S gonk show me the correct way to walk up the stairs when I got caught not doing that at one client.

I didn't impress when I pointed out once he'd got up the stairs that he'd forgotten to clean his hands with anti-bacterial gel because of all the germs that can be found on handrails.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    I thought it was more for the looks. I have seen too many German women without a bra, that should definitely have used one to lift stuff about 20 cms.

Leave a comment:

• Lola
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    This is getting out of hand.

Forcing women to wear bra's? Crazy!!!!!

News article

Gotta love the Germans.
    It is ridiculous that breasts are considered sexual. The function of breasts are for the feeding of babies; nothing more. Anyone he takes advantage of a woman’s smooth soft breasts and incite her nipples to be erect while her bosoms palpitate are abusing nature.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Nope, apart from the Jews, Gypsys, Freemasons, Homosexuals, non-whites, can't think of any.
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Maybe they are not discriminating. Maybe they have all others. is that more politically correct?
    This is where the conversation ends up looking like something from a Monty-Python script.

"I mentioned the war once, but I think I got away with it." - Yes I know that was fawlty towers but the same principle (and actor) applies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X