• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Colditz (TV series)"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Again, giving away my age somewhat - watched the original broadcast on my mother's knee. It was great.

Jacobi was great and John Hurt as Caligula was outstanding.

Why haven't they made anything remotely as good in the last 30 years?
    Was watching it a few weeks ago and Bernard Hill is in it as well. as a roman soldier at the time that claudius was made emperor

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Loads of new dramas being produced. And loads (most) of old TV was as tripe as most modern TV if not worse. Rose-tinted spectacles...

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Another one worthy of note and made to similar quality standards is Elizabeth R with Glenda Jackson in the starring role.

I agree that it's a shame such quality drama series are a product of 30-40 years ago and the art has been lost in favour of "Celebrity", "Reality" and "Talent" shows.
    There are some decent dramas being made, although the pressure to turn out series after series of anything that's popular means after a while it gets tainted. Sopranos, Shameless, 24 etc

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Another one worthy of note and made to similar quality standards is Elizabeth R with Glenda Jackson in the starring role.

I agree that it's a shame such quality drama series are a product of 30-40 years ago and the art has been lost in favour of "Celebrity", "Reality" and "Talent" shows.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I Claudius (I Clavdivs) was repeated a year or so back, it is very similar in quality and production to Colditz, well worth watching.
    Again, giving away my age somewhat - watched the original broadcast on my mother's knee. It was great.

Jacobi was great and John Hurt as Caligula was outstanding.

Why haven't they made anything remotely as good in the last 30 years?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I Claudius (I Clavdivs) was repeated a year or so back, it is very similar in quality and production to Colditz, well worth watching.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    wow

colditz
    tom sawyer
    catweazle
    onedin line
    i calvdivs
    stig of the dump
    beverly hillbillies

Yeah.

Yes. Definitely. It was you I was thinking of.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    If Wikipedia is to be trusted (and of course it always is) then the first series was originally broadcast on Thursdays, and the second on Mondays.
    Well done Nick.

Shows how feeble our brains really are at remembering.

It was a Thursday. I remember now.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Oh thank God, a fellow 'Old' bastard. I thought I was the only one.

Mind you, I was only a kid, in pajamas, with a cup of hot tomato soup.

I think it was on about 8pm on a Friday.
    If Wikipedia is to be trusted (and of course it always is) then the first series was originally broadcast on Thursdays, and the second on Mondays.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Many years ago I made a recording of one of the Das Boot themes (not the main theme), I'll see if I can dig it out again. Klaus Doldinger was the composer.
    That's right Cliphead. The Klaus Doldinger original is available on iTunes: "Das Boot (Die Original Filmmusik)".

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I thought I was the only one who loved the Das Boot music. I've got the feature-film version spanning two DVDs also in German (I think you get a choice of English dubbing), the first disc just stops randomly mid-scene IIRC. I watched it first as the TV series on BBC2 years ago.

Wife's away this weekend, I might just watch the entire thing in one go with a giant kebab pizza. I'm proper classy.
    Many years ago I made a recording of one of the Das Boot themes (not the main theme), I'll see if I can dig it out again. Klaus Doldinger was the composer.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I thought I was the only one who loved the Das Boot music. I've got the feature-film version spanning two DVDs also in German (I think you get a choice of English dubbing), the first disc just stops randomly mid-scene IIRC. I watched it first as the TV series on BBC2 years ago.

Wife's away this weekend, I might just watch the entire thing in one go with a giant kebab pizza. I'm proper classy.
    If you want the full effect, get some red bulbs to plug into your light fittings

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Top soundtrack as well.
    Yes, agreed with the lack of soundtrack on Colditz, added to the atmosphere.

I've got Das Boot in the original German on DVD (with English subtitles), the translation isn't up to par but so, so good.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Glad to see you back in town, Bogey. Can't say I've seen the program.
    Hello SG.

The program is very much of it's time (early 1970s).

Great actors. Good stories. Based upon real heros, not made-up ones.

Worth buying the box set. Being shown currently on History channel, weekdays.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I have vague recollections of this as a kid and also (even more vague) recollections of a board game. Would have liked to have set the record thingy but had no idea it was on. Is it being shown on iplayer (or whatever)?

Not in the UK at the mo so tend to miss these things.

Oh, welcome back bogey old chap. Winters in Canada too cold?

Never played the board game (or even remembered it for that matter).

I'm back from Canada (VC) until mid Jan. Not really had a very cold winter there so far. In fact it's seems colder and damper here in the UK at the moment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X