• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Railway Stations..."

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Didn't get a good start when they named it after a disease.
    Nearly correct.

When you have mumps you get a certain expression, much like beggars put on when they want to get you to give them money.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Didn't get a good start when they named it after a disease.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Carnforth station is also redolent of a bygone age and has fallen into rack and ruin. Interestingly, it was the station used in Brief Encounter and the famous clock still exists drawing Japanese tourists from all over the world. Bit of a let down really; went there last year on a steam up - though you get a good view of the yards from the end of Platform 1. Interestingly, it was featured in that progamme David Mellor did where he travelled to all the places that featured in the very first national rail timetable.
    Uh-Oh!!! Trainspotter Alert!!

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Carnforth station is also redolent of a bygone age and has fallen into rack and ruin. Interestingly, it was the station used in Brief Encounter and the famous clock still exists drawing Japanese tourists from all over the world. Bit of a let down really; went there last year on a steam up - though you get a good view of the yards from the end of Platform 1. Interestingly, it was featured in that progamme David Mellor did where he travelled to all the places that featured in the very first national rail timetable.
    It was Michael Portillo

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Is that the station where the bridge over the road proudly boasts "Welcome to Oldham - Home of the Tubular Bandage"

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I've actually used Katowice train station and it is way better than Swindon.
    I too have used both. You may well be right.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Katowice in Poland.
    Tried to get a ticket to Warsaw from there, and on the floor directly adjacent to the one ticket booth that was open, lay a drunken Polish couple. They had clearly been there for quite some time, had consumed presumably litres of industrial strength Vodka, and had deemed the need to de-slurry themselves in the toilets a step too far, preferring to let matters take their course!
    That said, once aboard the train it was punctual if rather spartan, and very well priced. So not all bad.
    I've actually used Katowice train station and it is way better than Swindon.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Katowice in Poland.
    Tried to get a ticket to Warsaw from there, and on the floor directly adjacent to the one ticket booth that was open, lay a drunken Polish couple. They had clearly been there for quite some time, had consumed presumably litres of industrial strength Vodka, and had deemed the need to de-slurry themselves in the toilets a step too far, preferring to let matters take their course!
    That said, once aboard the train it was punctual if rather spartan, and very well priced. So not all bad.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Oldham Mumps.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Stratford london: not a nice place
    I agree Stratford is bad but it is not as bad as it used to be and its future does look pretty bright.

All the East London overland stations used to be pretty horrible. Silvertown stands out to me as being pretty grim, not just the station but the whole process of travelling to and from it. It doesn't really look any worse now it is no longer in use.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    any of the Outer London surface train stations, Woodgrange Park in particular.
    I used to think that one wasn't too bad, it was just up the road from me 20 years ago but I only used it once or twice because I rarely had cause to use the route it is on.

For pure grimness I don't think you will beat changing trains at Westbury on a dark and cold winter's night.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 19 May 2010, 04:00. Reason: We have inline images now. What a drongo.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Tiverton Parkway.

<shudder>

Thank god they only made me to go there once.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Birmingham Newstreet, any of the Outer London surface train stations, Woodgrange Park in particular.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Basingstoke
    WSS. Misinformation and barstardry abound.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Bolton...always end up there when there's problems with the trains...

really depressing place, but then so is Bolton.
    Watch it - my hometown....

Agree tho

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Bolton...always end up there when there's problems with the trains...

really depressing place, but then so is Bolton.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X