• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Railway Stations...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abcoude, near Amsterdam.

A depressing collection of vandalized pre-fab shelters which provide no shelter as the hardboard’s all falling to bits plus a concrete underground pedestrian tunnel strewn with litter and accompanied by the malignant odour of rotting urine. What makes it really depressing is the sight of the old station building, a rather elegant, yet not overly grand building from the 1920s, which stands forlorn, unused and unloved just next to the platform behind a poorly maintained wire fence; a withering memory of days when railways were a source of pride in public service.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Abcoude, near Amsterdam.

A depressing collection of vandalized pre-fab shelters which provide no shelter as the hardboard’s all falling to bits plus a concrete underground pedestrian tunnel strewn with litter and accompanied by the malignant odour of rotting urine. What makes it really depressing is the sight of the old station building, a rather elegant, yet not overly grand building from the 1920s, which stands forlorn, unused and unloved just next to the platform behind a poorly maintained wire fence; a withering memory of days when railways were a source of pride in public service.
      Carnforth station is also redolent of a bygone age and has fallen into rack and ruin. Interestingly, it was the station used in Brief Encounter and the famous clock still exists drawing Japanese tourists from all over the world. Bit of a let down really; went there last year on a steam up - though you get a good view of the yards from the end of Platform 1. Interestingly, it was featured in that progamme David Mellor did where he travelled to all the places that featured in the very first national rail timetable.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        Carnforth station is also redolent of a bygone age and has fallen into rack and ruin. Interestingly, it was the station used in Brief Encounter and the famous clock still exists drawing Japanese tourists from all over the world. Bit of a let down really; went there last year on a steam up - though you get a good view of the yards from the end of Platform 1. Interestingly, it was featured in that progamme David Mellor did where he travelled to all the places that featured in the very first national rail timetable.
        Very sad indeed.

Take a look at this; Old Abcoude Station
        http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BT8Vm2G35b...%2Babcoude.jpg

New Abcoude Station, just next to it
        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Abcoude_2.JPG

Comment

Very sad indeed.

Take a look at this; Old Abcoude Station
          http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BT8Vm2G35b...%2Babcoude.jpg

New Abcoude Station, just next to it
          http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Abcoude_2.JPG
          Hmmm yes, I can't imagina a Thalys multiple unit stopping at that one!

Comment

Anyone ever go on the prototype HST that used to run in the BR western region back in the 70s?

Comment

Anyone ever go on the prototype HST that used to run in the BR western region back in the 70s?
              No, but I went on the APT once. Brilliant technology; what a shame the bean counters and politicos killed it off. Just imagine how much money Britain could have and should have made out of that.

Comment

No, but I went on the APT once. Brilliant technology; what a shame the bean counters and politicos killed it off. Just imagine how much money Britain could have and should have made out of that.
                Which one? The original gas turbine experimental unit or the version that entered service briefly in the 80s? ISTR it had a reputation for inducing motion sickness.

Comment

Which one? The original gas turbine experimental unit or the version that entered service briefly in the 80s? ISTR it had a reputation for inducing motion sickness.
                  The APT-P that went into service. It went out, then came back for a while in 1984; that's when I went on it. There were no problems at all, and even though I often had motion sickness in cars, I didn't get it on the APT and I didn't see anyone getting ill on the train. I think some of the journalists exaggerated the problems in the way journalists like to do; some great British venture comes along and their instinct seems to be to talk it down until it dies.

Comment

The APT-P that went into service. It went out, then came back for a while in 1984; that's when I went on it. There were no problems at all, and even though I often had motion sickness in cars, I didn't get it on the APT and I didn't see anyone getting ill on the train. I think some of the journalists exaggerated the problems in the way journalists like to do; some great British venture comes along and their instinct seems to be to talk it down until it dies.
                    By all accounts the real reason behind the sickness on the inaugral trip was that the journos went a bit over the top with the hospitality that BR had laid on.

Comment

Bolton...always end up there when there's problems with the trains...

really depressing place, but then so is Bolton.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X