• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Road Kill

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Road Kill"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    LOL you didn't kangaroo the car or make out the engine had died to emphasise the point? Used to do that after driving through fords in the road and SWMBO would fall for it everytime. Great fun... for a short time until payback time
    I doubt it. As Dave pointed out, firslt this was his wife and secondly he didnt have any Rhyponol!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Wound up MrsB the rest of the way home by suggesting that some of them may have managed to jump up into the wheel arches or the engine bay and could be chewing on wires or brake pipes as we drove along
    LOL you didn't kangaroo the car or make out the engine had died to emphasise the point? Used to do that after driving through fords in the road and SWMBO would fall for it everytime. Great fun... for a short time until payback time

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    One of the strangest sights I've come across was a road covered in rats.

There was what looked like a dead rabbit in the middle of the road, and dozens of rats scampering back and forth eating it. Ther scattered impressively when the headlights hit them.

We were obviously not the first car to pass it as there were a couple of squashed rats in the road as well that had not got out of the way fast enough and which were now suplementing their bretherins rabbit based diet.

Wound up MrsB the rest of the way home by suggesting that some of them may have managed to jump up into the wheel arches or the engine bay and could be chewing on wires or brake pipes as we drove along

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Saw a tiny little deer this morning with its head all mashed up . Poor little bambi.

I said "oh dear"

Poor little blighter

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I know someone who once got quite a lot of very nice venison this way.
    Is that not a Deer way of going about it though?

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If you're the next car along after a road kill, you can pick up the remains and take them home to eat them. I know someone who once got quite a lot of very nice venison this way.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    In a raging debate on another forum a few years ago, back when the hunting ban was a hot topic, the hunt supporters argued that fox hunting was an effective way of controlling the fox population in rural areas. It was pointed out to them that more foxes are killed on the roads each year than by hunting, so if they really want to control the numbers they should ditch the horses and go drive around the country lanes of an evening in their nice comfy 4x4's.
    Of course. Why do you think NL are taxing the beejeezus out of 4x4s? Stealth Tax wealth redistribution of course.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Did see 3 foxes dead the other day on opposite sides.

Two adults and one cub.
    In a raging debate on another forum a few years ago, back when the hunting ban was a hot topic, the hunt supporters argued that fox hunting was an effective way of controlling the fox population in rural areas. It was pointed out to them that more foxes are killed on the roads each year than by hunting, so if they really want to control the numbers they should ditch the horses and go drive around the country lanes of an evening in their nice comfy 4x4's.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Did you see any beavers?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    We hit one whilst the missus was driving, luckily down a little country lane so only doing around 30. Smashed through the front skirts, went under the motor and then a sickening bang, bang, bang as it bounced between the road and bottom of the car. Not nice at all.

looked in the nearside mirror and it was lay in the middle of the road surely stone dead but by the time we'd stopped and i'd jogged half way to it, it had got up and staggered away into the hedge. Nails!
    Well that's one badger that has definitely learned the highway code if it lives.

Makes you wonder why animals like foxes and badgers haven't twigged that when a large "animal" with glaring eyes is rapidly heading in their direction, it's time to move off the road pronto. The problem is, their instinct is to freeze and hope it goes away.

Leave a comment:

• Swati
    replied
    From what I understand from watching television some people actually eat this roadkill or these roadkills. To be honest I wouldn't know how to assess if these animals were fresh and if these animals would be suitable foodstuff. In India I would say it would not be recommended due to the heat making the meat very perishable. If you lkive in Arctic the opposite is true though I must point out that if you see polar bear road kill don not uner any circumstances eat the liver as this is poisonous.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Same here. Twas on a wet night, and it rolled to the edge of the road and ended up in a puddle. We got out to check on it and it was still breathing. We decided to take it to the Vet's to see if anything could be done. I said to the missus to place it between her legs to keep it warm. "But it stinks!" she immediately replied.
    "Well hold the badger's nose then!!!"
    Boom boom!!!

Boy I hope Shauns plan B isn't in comedy

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Did see 3 foxes dead the other day on opposite sides.

Two adults and one cub.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    We hit one whilst the missus was driving, luckily down a little country lane so only doing around 30.
    Same here. Twas on a wet night, and it rolled to the edge of the road and ended up in a puddle. We got out to check on it and it was still breathing. We decided to take it to the Vet's to see if anything could be done. I said to the missus to place it between her legs to keep it warm. "But it stinks!" she immediately replied.
    "Well hold the badger's nose then!!!"

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Badgers can be bloody huge! I would hate to hit one at speed! Well I would hate to hit one at all but you know what I mean.
    We hit one whilst the missus was driving, luckily down a little country lane so only doing around 30. Smashed through the front skirts, went under the motor and then a sickening bang, bang, bang as it bounced between the road and bottom of the car. Not nice at all.

looked in the nearside mirror and it was lay in the middle of the road surely stone dead but by the time we'd stopped and i'd jogged half way to it, it had got up and staggered away into the hedge. Nails!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X