• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you know if you're affected by stress?"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    That's good that Chill is. Ta again to whoever mentioned it. Stuck a link on my desktop, although the only stress I have at mo is adding extras to the wife's palatial greenhouse.

PS My only regret about my own loony episode was not stabbing somebody while I had a good excuse.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 15 April 2010, 17:10.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Chill radio has meditative podcasts that sound very good.

And they're free...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by premiere View Post
    Started to feel unwell whilst in a shop in 2009. Felt faint, shaking, a feeling of impending doom.

Sat down for a whilst and symptoms passed. Went to GP the next day suffering the above and pains etc. They took my blood pressure and it was through the roof. They immediately put me on blood pressure tablets.

Went up the chemist to collect them. By this time I felt ok again. Took first pill as described....started to feel ill (doc warned me this may happen but it would be ok). Took second pill a few hours later as advised.

Midnight. Ended up in A and E. Pills dropped my pressure so low I was knacked.

Off the piils immediately. Had a battery of tests. ECG, Bloods etc etc. Diagnosis was Panic Attack brought on by stress.
    The first lot of AD's I had were great, Doc said they might cause sexual disfunction, and they did - still had urges, and err, stiffies, but couldn't err, 'finish' unless I bopped the baloney for several hours. Trouble is I was divorcing at the time too so no 'object' was involved.

I really do feel I ought to collect my overgarment.....

Leave a comment:

• premiere
    replied
    Started to feel unwell whilst in a shop in 2009. Felt faint, shaking, a feeling of impending doom.

Sat down for a whilst and symptoms passed. Went to GP the next day suffering the above and pains etc. They took my blood pressure and it was through the roof. They immediately put me on blood pressure tablets.

Went up the chemist to collect them. By this time I felt ok again. Took first pill as described....started to feel ill (doc warned me this may happen but it would be ok). Took second pill a few hours later as advised.

Midnight. Ended up in A and E. Pills dropped my pressure so low I was knacked.

Off the piils immediately. Had a battery of tests. ECG, Bloods etc etc. Diagnosis was Panic Attack brought on by stress.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    OK, I've done that. What should I do next?
    Do it again. It will make you feel a million dollars believe me..

After that eat as many sherbert dips as you can until you start foaming at the mouth, lie on the floor waving your arms and yell 'I am a duck I am a duck I am going to fly away.. You might only get 10 years for that....

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Turn Left. Open Door. Exit. Move Northbound.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    If you are stressed for any length of time, the physical damage can be permanent e.g. in terms of permanently raised blood pressure.

So you need to ask yourself, should I carry on with this or just walk away.
    99.9% of the time saying "Fook it" is the right decision - provided you are not a flighty individual like MF.
    Possibly even if you are.

In my experience, it is rarer to find a really happy person in a circle of millionaires than among vagabonds.

It is also rarer to find happiness in a man surrounded by the miracles of technology than among people living in the desert of the jungle and who by the standards set by our society would be considered destitute and out of touch.
    -- Thor Heyerdahl

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Again, if you think you're stressed and possibly succumbing to depression go and watch a few episodes of Jeremy Kyle
    That will raise your self esteem by a phenomenal amount, and have a spring in your step in no time.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Run for the hills

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    If you are stressed for any length of time, the physical damage can be permanent e.g. in terms of permanently raised blood pressure.

So you need to ask yourself, should I carry on with this or just walk away.
    99.9% of the time saying "Fook it" is the right decision - provided you are not a flighty individual like MF.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Croatian View Post
    Stab her.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Be wary of sleeping pills NL. One can go for over a year with little sleep, but that's what it can take to get off damn sleeping pills anyway.
    Agreed. I also thought the same before and purposely stayed off them for that very reason. In the end I gave them a go and was only taking half the prescribed dose and just for a week to get me back on my feet. I wasn't suffering full blown insomnia, just to stop the mind spinning as your head hit the pillow. The minute I has some semblance of order I was off them like a shot. I now see them as a necessary evil to be wary of, but at times do help.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Again, if you think you're stressed and possibly succumbing to depression go and see someone.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I suffered from depression for two years or so, around 2001 it started, was the worst time of my life, I just felt like crying all the time and I feared my own mortality, often wondering if the next night might be the one I don't wake up from.

When things had pissed me off before, like being dumped, not getting the gig, not getting the girl I'd always been able to knock it out my head and get on with the next girl chase/job chase, but not with this.

I'd go on mega-long walks, for about 4/5 hours every night to 'resolve' everything in my head and sort it out with extreme analysis. Never did of course.

Then my father died unexpectedly and I thought 'here were go, this is gonna tip me over the edge....' It didn't, I think it knocked some life into me and I came out of it, slowly...

And in someways I think i'm a better person for it, I can see it coming again and snap myself out of it before it gets hold. Having said that I'm suffering at the moment with the same stress-related symptoms as the OP described, basically cos I hate this self-imposed albeit hopefully temporary permiedom and the lack of cash therein. Warchest depleted to almost nowt and salary barely enough to keep what's left ticking over....

The best thing about all this and feeling finally that you're at rock bottom and cliche though it is - you know the only way is up. Or staying there. Never thought of that. Oh no!

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    And you are talking her out of it.............why??
    tax reasons... but I think she'll do it anyway

Leave a comment:

Working...
X