• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Malcolm McLaren is dead!"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Ah yes, poor old Malcolm.
    There is a scene in the Great Rock'N'Roll Swindle where, during the Sex Pistols contentious voyage up the Thames, McLaren gets arrested and the Pistols all get a bit excited about it and yell "They've arrested Malcolm!" repeatedly.
    In a hugely immature parody of this, a few mates and I decided that every night we went out on the p1ss, we were all allowed to shout "They've arrested Malcolm!" once each. At this point we would all be compelled to do a forward roll wherever we happened to be. On trams, stairwells, crossing roads etc.
    God knows how there were not more injuries, but hey we were young, supple, drunk, and........did I mention hugely childish?

Some things have never changed come to think of it!!

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    who?

Leave a comment:

• wiggabaiters
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Any road...Malcolm McLaren was a twat but I liked the Sex Pistols...IMHO

Correct.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Very sad news indeed. NMTB is still in my top 10 albums. Thanks Malcolm.

RIP

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I agree with the comment summing him up from this nice quote at the end of the obit. in The New Yorker

very witty, beautiful, and intellectual (with many references)—but entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Sad to hear this news last night. RIP.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I think his legacy is that he was prepared to challenge conformity, even though it was for his own ends, all our lives have been richer as a result.
    Nicely put, for that at least I doft my cap

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You can say what you like, those Sex Pistols records and most of the punk records are well produced, very professional, well sung as well. You'll be surprised how hard it is to perform those songs in the way they did.

These "simple" genres aren't that simple when you try to copy it.

I mean yes you can copy it, but it would probably sound awful.
    Also, in the arts accusations of primitivism or naïveté are often the result of the commenter's ethnocentrism.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You can say what you like, those Sex Pistols records and most of the punk records are well produced, very professional, well sung as well. You'll be surprised how hard it is to perform those songs in the way they did.

These "simple" genres aren't that simple when you try to copy it.

I mean yes you can copy it, but it would probably sound awful.

Don't be fooled by the carefully crafted image.

The thing is when a "genre" makes money, then all the good musicians will pile into it and they'll spike their hair if they have to. Think of it as musical theatre, because that what it is. It was only the audience who were "punks", the guys on stage were just actors out there to make money.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 April 2010, 08:34.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    McLaren and his creations such as the Sex Pistols were supposed to be totally anti-establishment in the 1970's.

In 2010, his death gets him an obituary in the Times and on BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Nice one.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I'm not being miserable, punk was just a very poor time for british music, people banging out 3 chords were somehow thought of as credible, and the clash were flipin the worst of the lot. I know football songs with more to offer than half their pish.
    Hmm, not wishing to imply you know nothing of music, but as an occasional church organist, music teacher for theory, and earning a few coins as a composer*, I'd suggest you're lacking. With the 'three chords' you can cover all seven tones in the major scale.

HTH

Also, did you know that he worked on some fine classical music used for adverts on the TV.

*OK most of it is for Fruit Machines, but you wouldn't say no when you see what it can pay.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I can't say that I cared much for the man. The Sex Pistols did not do anything for music that the New York Dolls had not done earlier and better. Everything was about image manipulation with him.

Having said that, he was responsible for getting things like this (NSFW) on the TV which remind us just how conformist life used to be in the seventies.

I think his legacy is that he was prepared to challenge conformity, even though it was for his own ends, all our lives have been richer as a result.
    God save television - keep our programs pure!
    God save William Grundy - and roll him in manure!
    and God save the worthless Queen!

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Numpty View Post
    Like him or hate him, he was special. What he did touched millions and changed this country.
    I can't say that I cared much for the man. The Sex Pistols did not do anything for music that the New York Dolls had not done earlier and better. Everything was about image manipulation with him.

Having said that, he was responsible for getting things like this (NSFW) on the TV which remind us just how conformist life used to be in the seventies.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I know football songs with more to offer than half their pish.
    Citations or you're just trolling as usual.

Also, what about the other half?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Some myths

1/ Punk started in 1977 in the UK
    2/ Everyone in the 80s Manchester music scene was at the Sex Pistols Free Trade Hall gig

Any road...Malcolm McLaren was a twat but I liked the Sex Pistols...IMHO

Leave a comment:

Working...
X