• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Great Britain

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Great Britain"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I was about to say the oomph has gone, where once men were told to make it faster and stronger these days its all about making it lighter and safer... more fuel efficient. Not exactly exciting.

But in this case it makes perfect sense, brilliant, hats off old chap.
    And cheaper. There is too much doing stuff for the lowest possible price and letting quality suffer.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Mich, this should cheer you up a bit:

Earth images captured by balloon
    I was about to say the oomph has gone, where once men were told to make it faster and stronger these days its all about making it lighter and safer... more fuel efficient. Not exactly exciting.

But in this case it makes perfect sense, brilliant, hats off old chap.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I think the attitude of most brits to those who succeed is a bit off putting as well.

Why take a risk and have it pay off when no one will love you for it?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Brilliant, hurrah for this chap!

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by JimBobTwoTeeth View Post
    I've been in mixed French/English company recently. We were in France & the French just do as they feel. The first thought of the English was 'are we allowed' to do this. It was a stark contrast.

I sometimes think the only thing we are allowed to do now is watch TV.
    Yes, I’ve noticed this. Around here the Dutch tend to say ‘dis is de procedure and we stick to it’ but happily there are lots of Italians, Irish and Spaniards who say ‘so what’ every time someone comes along with some nonsense regulation.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I've been in mixed French/English company recently. We were in France & the French just do as they feel. The first thought of the English was 'are we allowed' to do this. It was a stark contrast.

Seek forgiveness, not permission!

Leave a comment:

• JimBobTwoTeeth
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I think the last one is the reason why people aren't taking risks.

There are other European countries that have more red tape and health and safety then we do, but it doesn't stop people taking risks.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I'd say that there is still an undercurrent of innovation & invention here but the appetite for risk taking is low. The culture is one of getting a safe corporate job & work for someone else. There is a general attitude of don't try in case you fail.

How do we change this?

First recognise that these things work on incentives & disincentives. The UK has way too many discincentives to people who want to strike out on their own. To list but a few:

1) Red Tape Galore. From tax code to health & safety. A huge distration from the principle purpose of a business or enterprise.

2) Internationally uncompetitive Corporation Tax. This needs lowering beneath that of our competitors.

3) Vastly over regulated society. People aren't 'free' at the micro level which creates this mental inability to step outside stupid rules.

The Great Britons among us will then step forward & the innovators of the world will arrive on our shores.
    I think the last one is the reason why people aren't taking risks.

There are other European countries that have more red tape and health and safety then we do, but it doesn't stop people taking risks.

Leave a comment:

• JimBobTwoTeeth
    replied
    I'd say that there is still an undercurrent of innovation & invention here but the appetite for risk taking is low. The culture is one of getting a safe corporate job & work for someone else. There is a general attitude of don't try in case you fail.

How do we change this?

First recognise that these things work on incentives & disincentives. The UK has way too many discincentives to people who want to strike out on their own. To list but a few:

1) Red Tape Galore. From tax code to health & safety. A huge distration from the principle purpose of a business or enterprise.

2) Internationally uncompetitive Corporation Tax. This needs lowering beneath that of our competitors.

3) Vastly over regulated society. People aren't 'free' at the micro level which creates this mental inability to step outside stupid rules.

The Great Britons among us will then step forward & the innovators of the world will arrive on our shores.

Leave a comment:

• bingobob
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    If it is then thank your mother!
    Cheers mum.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by bingobob View Post
    Is it red?
    If it is then thank your mother!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Stop being negative.

Golf Greenkeeping studies has a vocational element to it. Do you know how hard it is to get the perfect green?
    When golf was invented it was played on the rough and rugged grounds of Caledonia by tweed jacketed chaps who had no care for ‘the perfect green’, not least because, as the learned Mr Churchill states, men don’t see colours very well, but also because they were hardy chaps who saw each irregularity in the ground as a challenge to be conquered, and didn’t expect grass to grow in the direction of man’s desires.

The wicket at Lord’s is a different matter altogether, but even there a slight slope is accepted as an idiosyncrasy of the ground rather than an inconvenience to be bulldozered by machines.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Half the problem is you have a government that would appear to be embarrassed by British history.
    But not for much longer............hopefully.
    Maybe then we can stop apologizing for every historical misdemeanour and start moving forward again.

Leave a comment:

• bingobob
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Perfect green? Most men can't discern the bloody colour!
    Is it red?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X