• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Seems to me you ask the same question repeatedly. In so many words; Why is the UK so crap?
    I’m not asking why it’s crap, because I don’t believe it is. It strikes me that many British people think it’s crap, and if they regain some self confidence they shall quickly change that situation. I don’t want to return to a country where people don’t believe they can achieve.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      Build more railways with cracking stations and mighty bridges.
      Spiffing stuff, and precisely what I propose. I feel that the plans for a high speed rail link from London to Birmingham are not ambitious enough. This high speed link should continue all the way to Edinburgh and in fact to Dublin and Belfast via the world’s biggest mother of all suspension bridges, modeled on the rather spectacular Humber Bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I’m not asking why it’s crap, because I don’t believe it is. It strikes me that many British people think it’s crap, and if they regain some self confidence they shall quickly change that situation. I don’t want to return to a country where people don’t believe they can achieve.
        The walk the walk, come back and stand for MP.
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Is it just me or are some threads refusing to be marked as read and continually showing as unread?

Comment

Spiffing stuff, and precisely what I propose. I feel that the plans for a high speed rail link from London to Birmingham are not ambitious enough. This high speed link should continue all the way to Edinburgh and in fact to Dublin and Belfast via the world’s biggest mother of all suspension bridges, modeled on the rather spectacular Humber Bridge.
            As it happens we were discussing the possibility of a bridge/tunnel from Scotland to Northern Ireland when high speed link to Birmingham was on the news. The PM here (who has a rather large brain) got quite excited and starting costing the job. I think it came in at about £6 billion.

I was watching a programme on the North Sea oil industry - Crude Britannia. The early rigs were very impressive engineering feats.

Half the problem is you have a government that would appear to be embarrassed by British history.

Comment

I’m not looking for nasty negative things that should be done to people (except to the Labour party), but practical, positive things that the new occupant of number 10 could do to raise the spirits of all.
              Sadly, 'nasty negative things' is what is needed to repair the damage.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Ban joke degrees like Media Studies, Golf Greenkeeping and Psychology.

Instill values such as having a stiff upper lip, being determined, working things out for yourself etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  As it happens we were discussing the possibility of a bridge/tunnel from Scotland to Northern Ireland when high speed link to Birmingham was on the news. The PM here (who has a rather large brain) got quite excited and starting costing the job. I think it came in at about £6 billion.

I was watching a programme on the North Sea oil industry - Crude Britannia. The early rigs were very impressive engineering feats.

Half the problem is you have a government that would appear to be embarrassed by British history.
                  My goodness, as I write the chaps over in Northern Ireland are busy with their calculators. Splendid stuff indeed, and much less expensive than an NHS IT system that won’t impress anyone.

This is precisely what’s needed. The sort of engineering project that makes the whole world say ‘if you want something built, phone the British’. That's the real 'return on investment' when you do something really impressive; it advertises competence and ingenuity to the whole world.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                    Ban joke degrees like Media Studies, Golf Greenkeeping and Psychology.

Instill values such as having a stiff upper lip, being determined, working things out for yourself etc.

Stop being negative.

Golf Greenkeeping studies has a vocational element to it. Do you know how hard it is to get the perfect green?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Stop being negative.

Golf Greenkeeping studies has a vocational element to it. Do you know how hard it is to get the perfect green?
                      Perfect green? Most men can't discern the bloody colour!

Comment

Working...
                      X