• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I think the last one is the reason why people aren't taking risks.

There are other European countries that have more red tape and health and safety then we do, but it doesn't stop people taking risks.
    I've been in mixed French/English company recently. We were in France & the French just do as they feel. The first thought of the English was 'are we allowed' to do this. It was a stark contrast.

I sometimes think the only thing we are allowed to do now is watch TV.

Comment

Originally posted by JimBobTwoTeeth View Post
      I've been in mixed French/English company recently. We were in France & the French just do as they feel. The first thought of the English was 'are we allowed' to do this. It was a stark contrast.

Seek forgiveness, not permission!

Comment

Originally posted by JimBobTwoTeeth View Post

Yes, I’ve noticed this. Around here the Dutch tend to say ‘dis is de procedure and we stick to it’ but happily there are lots of Italians, Irish and Spaniards who say ‘so what’ every time someone comes along with some nonsense regulation.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Mich, this should cheer you up a bit:

Earth images captured by balloon

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post

Brilliant, hurrah for this chap!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I think the attitude of most brits to those who succeed is a bit off putting as well.

Why take a risk and have it pay off when no one will love you for it?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post

I was about to say the oomph has gone, where once men were told to make it faster and stronger these days its all about making it lighter and safer... more fuel efficient. Not exactly exciting.

But in this case it makes perfect sense, brilliant, hats off old chap.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I was about to say the oomph has gone, where once men were told to make it faster and stronger these days its all about making it lighter and safer... more fuel efficient. Not exactly exciting.

But in this case it makes perfect sense, brilliant, hats off old chap.
                  And cheaper. There is too much doing stuff for the lowest possible price and letting quality suffer.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                  X