• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Kebabs in Germany..."

Collapse

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I once woke up with an Indian meal, uneaten and still in the bag that I had carried it home in, next to my bed.

I warmed it up for breakfast.
    I breakfast on a takeaway every Sat. Purposely buy sneaky extra meals at the curry house/chinese and set them aside for the morning. Mmmmmm, breakfast of champions.

(Wouldnt work with a kebab for obvious reasons but a Madras breakfasts up a treat).

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I once woke up with an Indian meal, uneaten and still in the bag that I had carried it home in, next to my bed.

I warmed it up for breakfast.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Kebabish was definately unusual back then. Most places did kebabs in pitta, although quality was variable, which is why I remember it so well.

I remember there was one on the way home from Lewisham station that did huge kebabs. Being pissed whenever I went in there meant I invariably ordered the large version, and was invariably unable to finish it by the time I got home and would wake up on the sofa with it all down my front and the telly still on.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    From my experience:
    Turkish and Greek owned Kebab Shops - Pitta, Shish Kebab, Houmous, Taramasalata and Rub Baba's - Donner* obviously.
    Pakistani/Bangladeshi owned Kebab Shops - Naan, "Tikka" Kebab, Naan Sandwich (ie Sheek Kebab/Hot Turds rolled in Naan), Curry, Pizza, Burgers, Fried Chicken - Donner* obviously and sometimes a few stale Pitta stuck on the side...

I thought this was pretty universal.......

* I have no idea WTF Donner is supposed to be but thats a different story

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Don't know where you live in the UK or where you go for kebabs but I can't remember the last time I was served a kebab in pitta bread in the UK
    I'm from Bolton, live in Leeds now but had 10 years in Scotland in between and it's always been pitta bread. Soggy pitta bread with splits in so everything falls out. I agree tho the naan bread option is far superior, but we didn't have them in the 70's when I fell out of Rockerfella's in Bolton of a Saturday night. Or Wednesday for grab a granny night.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    There is, believe it or not, a German/English club in Leeds. Do interesting talks at the UR Hall in Headingley.

I know there is a tradition of a German Xmas market in Leeds.

Maybe you should ask about...

HTH
    Didn't know about the German club but the German Market is excellent - it's where I get my yearly fill of käsewurst, washed down with a couple of Helles. Odd thing is you use the opportunity to speak a bit of German with the staff, turns out they're nearly all Romanian's in lederhosen and Bavarian hats....

But the Oompah Band in the big tent is German, and excellent fun!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    maybe in Manchester we're just spoilt but up here what you've just described is a standard kebab! Choice of Doner (), chicken, sheek or mixed
    Kebabish was definately unusual back then. Most places did kebabs in pitta, although quality was variable, which is why I remember it so well.

I remember there was one on the way home from Lewisham station that did huge kebabs. Being pissed whenever I went in there meant I invariably ordered the large version, and was invariably unable to finish it by the time I got home and would dump the remains in the bin outside the front door.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Pitta bread is standard issue at the kebab places round here.

Best kebabs I have ever had were from a place called Kebabish on Green Street in Upton park. Served on a round naan like bread, plenty of meat, plenty of salad and really good chilli and yogurt sauces.

No idea if it's still there or not, this was 20 years ago!
    maybe in Manchester we're just spoilt but up here what you've just described is a standard kebab! Choice of Doner (), chicken, sheek or mixed

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Don't know where you live in the UK or where you go for kebabs but I can't remember the last time I was served a kebab in pitta bread in the UK
    Pitta bread is standard issue at the kebab places round here.

Best kebabs I have ever had were from a place called Kebabish on Green Street in Upton park. Served on a round naan like bread, plenty of meat, plenty of salad and really good chilli and yogurt sauces.

No idea if it's still there or not, this was 20 years ago!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    ..are cock-on compared the the tulipe we get in UK...

I was in Hamburg in Sept, popped down to Frau Möller in St Georgi, had a few amazing beers and wandered into the nearest kepap shop...

Heaven, slightly spicy chicken, cracking non floppy non wet non pitta bread, some sort of exquisite soda bread - no sure, got a large, Euro 30 and two....

Couldn't eat all of it, dumped it in a bin, here..

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&sourc...01147&t=h&z=20

Wonder if it's still there, I'd eat it, for sure....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post

There's also a big one in Birmingham (twinned with Frankfurt) which is why one of the carpark machines there was in German. In the Hauptwache in Frankfurt there used to be a small boozer called the Birmingham Pub, which has now moved along and around the corner, and I remember sitting in there one lunch time having a few beers and ordering a Toast Hawaii. This is basically 2 slices of bread with a topping of ham then a pineapple ring with cheese melted over it. It was delivered like that but with 2 cherries (so it looked rather suggestive) on top by a drag artist (but not in full drag) who got closer to me, fluttering his eyelashes, and asked if I would like anything else.

They've been showing this place recently on German TV as well

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    morning All,

I can confirm the kebabs in Berlin are excellento

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The reason this thread isn't in light relief is because it is not wibble, it is not posted for the fun of it, it isn't a game, and it isn't about sport.

hth

Anyway, any expat will tell you that the lack of, for example, decent bacon sandwiches in Continental Europe is a very serious issue. Pickwicks in Basel, however, does a very decent bacon in a baguette, with a wide range of proper English sauces. They also seem to have managed to source proper good quality English sausages for their sausage baguettes - none of this Bratwurst nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Aye but I suffer dreadfully here in Leeds for the lack of käsewurst....

Swings and Roundabouts, Swings and Roundabouts...
    There is, believe it or not, a German/English club in Leeds. Do interesting talks at the UR Hall in Headingley.

Maybe you should ask about...

HTH

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I had a particularly nice donner from a place just outside the Erotic Museum nr Bahnhof Zoo in Berlin.....

Nice to see this thread is not on light relief. Yet...
    is it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X