• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Horror! Oh The Horror!"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    You are the type who leaves one or two glaring mistakes in your documents
    to satisfy the reviewers aren't you? Works for me.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Threaded, I find it hard to believe that you can get all so excited over a Cockatoo.
    HAB , maybe

Yeah, evil blessed things, but still one of Gods creatures.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I have copies of "Program Now" and "EXE" upstairs.

IIRC In a basement at one of my homes I've several copies of Elektor, Wireless World, Practical Wireless, Practical Electronics, Byte, .EXE, RadCom, Electronics Today International, Everyday Electronics and many many others.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    You can bet that as soon as the dustman has taken them away that I'll have reason to look something up in one of them.
    I once inherited a cupboard full of DEC PDP-11 manuals. Cleared them out into a cardboard box and wrote on it "Chuck if nobody needs them by <date-one-year-from-now>".

Sure enough, about a week after flinging them along came the ex-employee who was maintaining some legacy systems ...

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Hey, some of us are still developing in COM thank you very much
    You can bet that as soon as the dustman has taken them away that I'll have reason to look something up in one of them.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I still haven't gotten around to throwing out thise VC/VB 6.0 MCSD training kit, and COM books, etc.
    Hey, some of us are still developing in COM thank you very much

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    People used to ask me why I kept an old x-ray tube carefully stuffed away in a box with lots of other old tubes, and I used to tell them that one day I might well need it.

Well, as it so happens one day someone came to me with a very sick parrot and I was able to build an x-ray machine from junk, took this photo and an emergency vet used it to save his life.

So, you just tell them: NO!
    Threaded, I find it hard to believe that you can get all so excited over a Cockatoo.
    HAB , maybe

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I have copies of "Program Now" and "EXE" upstairs.

I've got a few copies of EXE.

I also have an extensive collection of Personal Computer World spanning three decades. The oldest has the TRS-80 on the cover; I think it was the fourth issue, dated September 1978

My oldest issue of Byte appears to be the May 1985 one.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I still haven't gotten around to throwing out thise VC/VB 6.0 MCSD training kit, and COM books, etc.

I found old copies of Oracle's magazine the other day; I don't even use Oracle anymore.

I'm due for a good clean out. Last one was in January when I threw away copies of the now defunct Trader Monthly Magazine. I think I had copies going back to late 2006.
    And now, I don't have any of them.

There is something curiously therapeutic about throwing things out. It has a sort of Zen feeling to it.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied

I found old copies of Oracle's magazine the other day; I don't even use Oracle anymore.

I'm due for a good clean out. Last one was in January when I threw away copies of the now defunct Trader Monthly Magazine. I think I had copies going back to late 2006.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    But leave a bit of (more) useless tat in place to give them the impression that they've cleared you out...
    You are the type who leaves one or two glaring mistakes in your documents
    to satisfy the reviewers aren't you? Works for me.
    Last edited by OrangeHopper; 26 February 2010, 17:22.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    They're finally going to throw away all my and my predeceased predecessor's carefully horded junk.

I is devastated.

Life will never be the same again.
    People used to ask me why I kept an old x-ray tube carefully stuffed away in a box with lots of other old tubes, and I used to tell them that one day I might well need it.

Well, as it so happens one day someone came to me with a very sick parrot and I was able to build an x-ray machine from junk, took this photo and an emergency vet used it to save his life.

So, you just tell them: NO!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    But what about all those cunning plans that relied on that junk as a source of parts?

Is this the end of the GAL invasion force?

Will ZG manage to hide his junk and fool the authorities?

All these questions and more will be answered in next weeks episode of...

Who Ate All The Students?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    You need to quickly hide the lot of it..... just chuck out all the Tulip thats clogging up your desk drawers, filing cabinets, desk footwells, store rooms, corridiors etc and hide all your stuff there.......
    But leave a bit of (more) useless tat in place to give them the impression that they've cleared you out...

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    They're finally going to throw away all my and my predeceased predecessor's carefully horded junk.

I is devastated.

Life will never be the same again.
    You need to quickly hide the lot of it..... just chuck out all the Tulip thats clogging up your desk drawers, filing cabinets, desk footwells, store rooms, corridiors etc and hide all your stuff there.......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X