• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh goody - no legal firearms allowed..."

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    He must be really fed up with it.
    Yes...

You'd think he'd move

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I understood it that half the reason this figure was down was due to the fact that the resale prices are so low. When you can buy a dvd player new for £20 it's second-hand value must be near enough zero.

Actually a good friend of my was burgled and they took his stupidly large tv, but didn't take his top-end hi-fi separates which were worth multiples of the tv. He also took some comfort in the fact that CBeebies was burnt into the top right-hand corner from it being on so much. Not sure what it says about his parenting skills mind you.
    You don't know what you're talking about, the CBeebies logo is on the top left.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    A householder is attacked by a violent burglar every 30 minutes.
    He must be really fed up with it.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    I understood it that half the reason this figure was down was due to the fact that the resale prices are so low. When you can buy a dvd player new for £20 it's second-hand value must be near enough zero.

Actually a good friend of my was burgled and they took his stupidly large tv, but didn't take his top-end hi-fi separates which were worth multiples of the tv. He also took some comfort in the fact that CBeebies was burnt into the top right-hand corner from it being on so much. Not sure what it says about his parenting skills mind you.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    More guns with a really rigourous assessment of who gets them maybe. Criminals can probably get them anyway, it's the nutty loners who probably wouldn't know how to that bother me.

People don't have to be attacked to suffer enormous stress, have known two women threatened in their own home, although neither was actually touched. Tthe younger one was a nervous wreck afterwards, couldn't seem to talk about anything else. The elderly one just declined steadily afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Agree with Richard partially. Drugs are a major cause of crime. I'm all for drug testing in prison and during parole. Forced drug rehabilitation in prison and afterwards. But there are also career burglars who see the rewards greater than the penalties.

Not sure where they got once every 50 years I have been burgled 4 times (alarm, double glazing and bright lights now). the two they caught were career criminals they asked for 33 other offences to be taken into account comitted while they were on bail.

They got 3 years but had burgled 33 expensive houses in a wealthy part of the country, they took about £3000 in value from us (25 years ago) whilst on bail for hundreds of other burglaries. so They were probably looking at getting above the average wage tax free in 2 days after selling the goods at 10% of value.

Alexei they also stole 2 antique purdey shotguns from one house we were glad we were out, not everyone is Bruce Willis. Even though he looks like me (Balding, grey and podgy round the edges).

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    You'd think he'd f**k off back to Russia
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Damn - you beat me to it
    FTFY!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You'd think he'd move
    That would violate human rights of the burglar.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    You could get through the old DG pretty quickly but if it has the bolts going round the window when you lock the handle then they have no chance.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Who needs a gun, double glazing, security lighting and an alarm keeps the robbers away.
    Doesn't in Doncaster. They know how to take the windows out from "security special" double-glazing and climb through the resultant hole, security lighting helps them see what they're doing, and the council noise abatement officer comes around and hands you a fine for the alarm being repeatedly triggered.

Darn I've seen a door the police tried to kick in for more than 10 minutes, and failed, easily defeated by a smack-head in less than 30 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Who needs a gun, double glazing, security lighting and an alarm keeps the robbers away.

Junkies tend not to do that much house breaking, it requires a bit of strength and speed, much happier lifting from the shops with a tinfoil bag where they do not have to do time if they get caught.

With the anount of boozing that goes down in this country people would be shooting each other every night after a good few whiskys and a "you were looking at that girl in the pub" argument.

I suspect AtW knows this but he seeems to get quite a bit of milage from some with the gun angle.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    You'd think he'd move
    Damn - you beat me to it

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    A householder is attacked by a violent burglar every 30 minutes.
    You'd think he'd move

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    So (excluding attempts) a house will get burgled at least once in your lifetime?
    And, to add to the confusion, the Daily Mail says:

The figures emerged in an analysis of official crime statistics. Last year, the number of domestic burglaries recorded by police in England and Wales rose for the first time in six years, from 280,694 in 2007-08 to 284,427.
    There are 21 million dwellings in the UK, so it should be one burglary per 100 years, not 50 years.

Either way, it is way too many.

And I believe the last two governments have not tried hard enough and not been creative enough in dealing with the hard drugs problem in the UK. Instead of spending millions trying to convince me that drinking 3 bottles of home brew is binge drinking, I think a better return on that investment could be made by helping some people get back on the straight and narrow.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    You've got to love the Daily Mail. Here's another view:
    "chances of being burgled are at their lowest for 20 years - on average a house is burgled (excluding attempts) just once every 50 years."

So (excluding attempts) a house will get burgled at least once in your lifetime?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X